Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the planted tanks and I've been a little overwhelmed by all the different methodologies, disagreements, etc. I just received The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium and have been reading it bit by bit. I find the science fascinating and I was thinking I will use it in my first planted tank (in which I plan to have only invertebrates) However, the "aquascaping" aspect is somewhat important to me, and while I'm by no means an artist my goal for this tank is to have a centerpiece driftwood (which I already have) and to have plants or even just moss growing on it. I've seen people have more success with this type of tank using a kind of "medium-tech" setup, with a filter, planted tank substrate, and fertilizers, but nothing more advanced like CO2 injection. Right now I'm not ever planning to do a "high-tech" tank. I don't need to have a picture-perfect tank but really I want to set something up that's visually more than just flat soil with plants growing upward. So knowing what I hope to see from this tank would you recommend me going with the Walstad method or going for the "medium-tech" kind of method? Do you know of any places to see examples of some really beautiful Walstad style tanks? (I'm not saying the plants alone aren't beautiful- but you know what I mean)
Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
If you choose the right plants that doesn’t require hugh light and CO2, you can have success.
some plants like pearl weed, crypts, swords, anubias, etc... There are lots of options.
Check out the el natural section of the forum for examples.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts