Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been struggling over a couple questions I have about what are some proper levels for different nutrient specifically Ca and Mg.

I've been reading that levels of Ca in a planted tank should be around 30ppm. Is this correct? I've also read that a GH of around 100ppm is ideal. Wouldn't this mean ideal Ca levels would be around 75ppm and for Mg 25ppm???? I know the ratio between the two is suppose to be in the 3:1 to 4:1 area. At least on that almost everyone agrees. I'm just so confused at this point on the right ppm. The more I read the more conflicting ideas there are for the right levels?!!?

Please share what your opinion or the right answer is, if there is one!! Or what has worked for different people. Specifically in high light tanks with CO2 injection.

Help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*BUMP* No input on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's ok, many people on another forum were extremely helpful about the differing opinions on many sites or stickies about the right levels of Ca, Mg, and total GH. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had figured there was no perfect answer as is true with most chemistry of a planted fish tank.

I've searched and searched and with so many very differing opinions of what's right I figured I would ask everyones individual opinions of what works for them or if I was missing something. Ask the audience :)

ca:mg....... 30:10 or 75:25 or 100:30, and did anyone notice a disadvantage/advantage to any of them?

I'm blessed/cursed with ultra soft water( Ca:30 Mg:0 dKH: 2.5. So I get the choice of keeping things in the low end or dosing them up. I just didn't know what people think.

Maybe I asked the wrong question to start. Its just tough when nobody starts a convo and I just get sent to a sticky.... not to mention I don't even know what an MCI thread is or where to find it?

My tank does very well for being only a year into this but I'm just hoping to improve it and my knowledge. I wanted to start with is question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
............I'm blessed/cursed with ultra soft water( Ca:30 Mg:0 dKH: 2.5. So I get the choice of keeping things in the low end or dosing them up. I just didn't know what people think.............../
That's not very soft. My water is about half of that with a dKH of< 1. I used to use the standard 3:1 ratio of Ca to Mg. For the past few months I have been dosing equal (by volume) amounts of Ca, Mg and K2SO4. The only difference I see is less GDA on the glass. I keep my water around GH of 4 to 5 as I keep mostly tetras.
My apologies, I wasn't specific enough when I posted my soft water Ca 30ppm and Mg 0ppm, Kh 40ppm

I don't know if you took the 30 and degrees of hardness rather than ppm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.