Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked in the newbie forum(and a few other forums :() and no one responded, so maybe someone here knows?

I have a normal 20 gallon tank that is 24" long and is tall, and I want to plant it and use excel in it, but I don't know how much light to get. I found one at big als http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...4/cl0/coralifefwt5aqualightdoublestriplight24 that I can afford and it isn't too bad looking but it only has one reflector. Or I could get the 30" one(a BIT more light) and set it crooked over the top of my tank. OR I've got a 29 gallon with my goldfish that has lower light plants(java fern that I don't like, anubias, hornwort and bolbitis that is being covered in algae for something that is my fault and I am trying to get a sword to grow in a pot, but it keeps getting unrooted, so I think I'm just going to put it in a flower pot on my window and try something else in the flower pot in the tank and I tried to grow some lily bulbs, but they never grew,) and if the 30" light would be enough for those ones, I could keep my 65 watt pc light(on the goldfish tank!) on my 20 gallon tank. I just don't know if that is too much light to only use excel though.

I really want to order my lights soon if I can get one of those since they have the best price on test kits, and I'm in dire need of some of those, but I don't want to make an order JUST for them if I'm going to have to get a new light soon too. Any help :(

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Try ahsupply.com
these are awesome lights, if you don't mind a little assembly. Kim (owner) is VERY helpful.
a 20 gallon LONG is a great tank for plants since it's not very deep- you have a 20 tall, right?
good luck

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
You need a fixture that is 24" long. The two you posted are 30" & 48" which is too long. In order to keep your tank low tech, tou will need to keep it between 1.5-2wpg. So any where between 30-40 watts of light will work for your needs. I would try to get closer to 2 wpg due to the height of the tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the 24" one(the one I linked) would work since it is nearly 30 watts then? Even if it does only have one reflector?

I'll look at ahsupply too :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
SpeedEuphoria,

I just put a Coralife compact fluorescent fixture on my tank, and the effect is beautiful. The light is very clear and sparkling.

Didn't try T5's, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts