Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Is this aquarium safe?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  supersmirky 
#1 ·
I found this atthe supermarket. It is intended for potted plants but looking at the analysis at the back, I thought maybe I can use it for a planted tank. Does anybody use this? Can anybody say if this is safe to use with fish?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It seems to be taking it's N from Ammonia and Urea which while Tropica use Urea compounds I wouldn't suggest it!!!

I wouldn't be putting any livestock in a tank with it. If I were to trial it I may put a few cherry shrimp in there that had ben living in the filter for a while just to see how they fared.

Can't read the smaller print further down.

AC

#4 ·
I tried 'Miracle Gro' for a little while. I went through lots of calculations and measurements to get what I thoght would be a good dose that would come close to using dry ferts or the Flourish ferts.

My fish were not bothered by it at all, but neither was my algae. I wound up with so much algae issues that I had to start all over. Some of that could be attributed to being my first attempt at planted tanks, but I think house-plant ferts (using Urea and Ammonia) are more easly taken up by algae than the KNO3 and KH2PO4 that is recommended for aquatic plants.

-Dave

#6 ·
This is where I get my dry ferts:
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

I use the EI method that you can read about on this forum. There is also PPS-pro that is good.

For the liquids, you can use Seachem's Flourish line or Pfertz, or the others (I can't think of the names). All the Seachem products can be readily obtained from most online stores such as drsfostersmith, bigalsonline, aquariumguys, aquariumgarden, ...many more.

-Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.