Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a AH supply 2x55watt kit for my standard 55gal. I want to be able to get really dense growth in some areas. Would this be enough light or should I have more?

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
It depends on what plants you plan to grow. For most plants it would be enough, but for some it might not be.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Sounds perfect. I have the exact same setup and I have grown all plants without light issues (HC, glosso, rotala macrandra, riccia and other high light plants).

2x55w on the 55g is medium-high lighting so you can grow everything from the low light anubias plants and java fern/moss all the way to the high light demanding plants. You should have no problems :) I'd recommend getting the 10,000k bulbs, they have a nice white-blue look to them, or the 6,700 K bulbs for a more sun-orange look.

If you want to you can add another 2x55 w to the tank for a total of 4x55 w (its unnecessary because 2x55 will do just fine). But don't do this from the start or you will have problems. With this kind of light your plants will grow extremely quickly if supplied with enough nutrients and CO2, you should not have shading issues with 2x55 or 4x55w

1 - 4 of 4 Posts