Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I paid some guy in the forum for some "HC." I live in FL so when I got the package it was totally melted dead. DOA for sure, and thats cool because it was my fault for not asking for styrofoam. I am new to this hobby and i've had HC before and what I got in the mail didn't seem like HC. Can anyone with experience tell me if this is in fact HC? I know the picture is horrible but from all of the pictures on the internet the leaf size is so small, I am having problems believing this was in fact HC. Please help me. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
No, that is not HC. It looks more like HM or Bacopa australis.

Looking at the bag it's not dead, just suffering. Either way, you didn't get what you paid for.

Oh, and it's not your fault you received melted plants either. There's way too much moisture in that bag. I've mailed dozens of packages to FL this summer with no casualties.

You should be able to find HC at your LFS. If they don't have it have them order it for you. Florida Aquatic Nurseries now sells it in pots so any LFS should be able to get it for you.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Oh, and it's not your fault you received melted plants either. There's way too much moisture in that bag. I've mailed dozens of packages to FL this summer with no casualties.
Ditto. I've sent and received a few packages this summer when high's were 95 - 100 and no melt-outs. The plants need only be moist. A bag full of water = a bag full of soup.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I knew it!!! Yea I live like .5 of a mile from florida aquatic nurseries. It is located in Davie Florida, my home town. It is seriously 1 street over from my house. Too bad they don't sell to the public!!!! I know a few LFS that sell their stuff but mostly the HC they sell is very small in portion and its only on pieces of lava rock or driftwood. I think I can get it on rocks for like 5$. But the portion is very small compared to what I was lead into getting. If you take your fore finger and make a circle with your thumb that is the size you get for like 5$. I was told 6x6" sheet of HC for 15 shipped. Too good to be true I guess. I just had faith in the forum I guess. Don't worry, I still have that faith because so many people here are really true to the hobby. I love this place. Got some downoi the other day and I can't wait for it to come in!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just a 10 gallon. wanted to put in on one half and put stem plants and my log of anubias nana petite (like 10 its sick) emerging out into the HC.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Looking at the bag it's not dead, just suffering. Either way, you didn't get what you paid for.

I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't necassarily look dead. You could see it better if you took it out of the bag. Take it from someone who ships dozens of packages across the country EVERY DAY for the last ten years, 90% of the time the plants arrive just fine no matter what you do or don't do in packaging, foam or no foam. But, that other 10% of the time is when having insulation makes a huge difference.

That plant does not even look remotely like HC. Somebody made an obvious mistake. Did you talk to this person?

·
Registered
222 Posts
the portion for 5 dollars should be able to start out the 10 gallon if you have enough patience. buy two or three portions of that and you should have pretty much enough to grow a full lawn in a few months. you really dont need a 6x6 inch sheet to start off a 10 gallon.

i also think it is micranthemum umbrosum, judging from the round leaf shape and size. was this package at least put into a box and not those big yellow envelopes? it looks like someone deliberately smashed the plants. you can try growing a few short stems of this stuff since you said you wanted stem plants. its really hard to have the whole package die on you in a shipment to the point where you cant grow some of it back.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to grow the best looking pieces and everything died. I think I am just going to order some HC from a LFS and go that route. I went to a LFS on Sunday that always has HC. All their HC was semi dead!!! I've been trying to get HC for like a month now! The guy says they will have more at the end of this week. I think i might just get some glosso, I can get that no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts