Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does it have roots? Because that will answer your question, I think A closer up picture of the plant could make the ID easier.

65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no roots but it was set in mud, this was growing submersed, but there was some emersed that was much shorter and growing on rocks. when i pulled it out of the water it looked like mucus. it is about 6 inches tall. and the main stem would not support its weight out of water. it looks like java moss with the tiny fronds coming off. its a poor pic and you cant see this

·
Registered
302 Posts
i see hemianthus in the background..but that fuzzy thing in the front..... can you take more pictures please?

·
Registered
302 Posts
that doesn't look like any moss I've ever seen...looks like a stem plant to me..

65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is also what i thought at first, but it has the fronds coming off each "stem" like java moss, so im confused. it has no roots at all, and grows both emerged and submersed, im going to try to get some better pics, ill probably have to fill up my 256 mb card to get one or two, lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks like peat moss which is just getting green here. Should be very green in PA. Will last for a bit in a tank but needs damp boggy places and not a tank.

·
Registered
302 Posts
thats what peat moss looks like? oh man, you gotta get clearer pics. i gotta see this! i've only seen "brown" peatmoss

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hubba, I've got it growing in places in the yard. I'll take a pic tommorrow if we don't get the snow they are predicting. I like the stuff. Grows over the logs and rocks around a small natural pond in the yard.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LoL! that reminds me I tried growing some stuff from my yard.... none of my experiments actually worked though. :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
IMHO, The first pic looks like Anacharis (higher light growth), unless theres something else in the blur I'm supposed to be seeing.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Yup! That is Sphagnum moss, all right. It grows in acid bogs in the North. this is the primary source of peat. It can even take over a forest if the floor gets wet. Eventually the trees die, and the final stage of succession---the climax stage--- turns out to be the moss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts