Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm the hobbyist beginner from this thread about aphids and this thread about siesta schedule. I haven't quite managed the green water situation but I'm hoping it'll slowly go away as the new floating plants start to thrive again. (otherwise I will remove the wood as a next step)

Anyway, my betta has been behaving strangely for about two days now. He's normally a super social and in-your-face kind of guy... but now he has been hiding a lot. Like hiding really well and he won't come out of hiding as soon as I approach as he usually does. In fact, he stays hidden near the bottom of the bowl and inbetween the plants. I'll post a photo in the next comment.

I checked the parameters from the top water of the bowl and they're fine/same as always... the ammonia is between 0-0.25ppm (looks pretty yellow to me but not quite as yellow as the printed color example on the test kit)

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here he is hiding (black circle near the bottom of the photo)

Plant World Houseplant Window Flowerpot

and then this is a general photo for reference... he's not visible in this photo

Water Plant Green Fluid Liquid

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the temperature? Is he eating?
When my fish starts to hide, it is stress. A water change usually helps.
The temperature is at 25C (77F)

I haven't tried feeding him since he started hiding two days ago... I don't usually worry about feeding him because there's so much life in that bowl I figure anything I give him will be a supplement lol

I'll be changing water tomorrow after the water I've collected has had a day to evaporate the chlorine

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's another question, if I want to do a huge water change, like as close as I can get to 100%, I should drip-acclimate the fish, right? ... and is it a bad idea to do such a big water change? I'm just tired of this darn cloudiness...

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
Many Bettas sold in stores these days are liable to come down with disease.
His illness could have nothing to do with water conditions.
Water change is up to you.

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got him to come out by stupidly accidentally pouring way too much of the sinking food into the bowl and then making a huge fuss as I started to scoop it out (relatively successfully actually), using a strainer and getting most of what didn't sink, in any case I will be doing a big water change today and tomorrow ... he came out swimming super slowly, and I got to get a good look at him and his fins look perfect and so does his body color, shape, etc, but his face seems a little gray, his eyes look ok to me too. I'll be quarantining him shortly...

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
he actually looks pretty good to me but the behavior is weird

-as soon as I quarantined him (same water) he rushed to hide under the salvinia which I put in there because he loves it
-then I noticed he was out and about doing recon and harrassing tiny snails which came with the plant…. so I tried to give him half a “betta treat” … and he’s just left it there
-he did start coming to me as he normally does but like slower if that makes any sense

honestly the only weird thing is his speed and sudden shyness and not eating... like he stays super still like he's suddenly afraid of me... I think I see "stress stripes" but I'm not sure that's a thing?
I’m leaning more towards “he’s upset because of the water too” but what are your thoughts?

Liquid Hood Dishware Window Rectangle

Water Underwater Fin Fish Marine biology
Liquid Water Organism Wood Art
Water Liquid Fluid Feather Grey
Water Liquid Organism Underwater Fin

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll be changing water tomorrow after the water I've collected has had a day to evaporate the chlorine
May have missed this in one of your previous threads, but are you sure your water supply has chlorine and not chloramine? If it's chloramine it won't evaporate out, I could see that being stressful to the betta.

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
May have missed this in one of your previous threads, but are you sure your water supply has chlorine and not chloramine? If it's chloramine it won't evaporate out, I could see that being stressful to the betta.
I'm unaware of any chloramine in the water, I'm asking the fish store if they know... as far as I'm concerned everyone just leaves their water out.

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know his original color. He might need warmer temperatures like 79F-80F to perk up his metabolism.
I think you were dead-on about the temperature... I just turned the AC off a couple of hours ago and he's already back to his center-of-attention ways.
We're having some extra hot days and I had it all the way up so I wouldn't have to turn on the ones in the rooms because those are too noisy! Silly me.
I'm still doing a huge water change because I'm sick and tired of not being able to see my plants. So I'll take advantage of already having him secluded to drip acclimate him to clean water (is that a thing?)

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm. How can you heat fish bowl? I think you can get a heating pad you can put under the bowl to give it some warmth. It’s used for pet reptiles.
lol I'm definitely not heating anything except food in Panama. I'll just be more reasonable with the AC.
I've had him for like 6 weeks and he had been fine so far. I hadn't realized the temperature went too low for him, but of course in the back of my mind, I had.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm still doing a huge water change because I'm sick and tired of not being able to see my plants. So I'll take advantage of already having him secluded to drip acclimate him to clean water (is that a thing?)
Beautiful plants. I would do more frequent 20% water changes till it is clear instead of big ones. Get a small bottle of Prime. You need a little and it last long. Dripping your water back in after a water change is a good idea. Eliminate any shock of sudden water parameters. And keep the fish in the bowl......

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Beautiful plants. I would do more frequent 20% water changes till it is clear instead of big ones. Get a small bottle of Prime. You need a little and it last long. Dripping your water back in after a water change is a good idea. Eliminate any shock of sudden water parameters. And keep the fish in the bowl......
AAAAAAAND little dude has fin rot!!! I’m going to read a little more but any insight??? Looking up Prime right now.

ok edited to add… I just looked up Prime, is this compatible with the Walstad method NPT?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts