Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

Registered
7 gal bowl
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
right, and I have been checking the water parameters and they are fine... my only concern about the water is the friggin opaque algae which I'm about to give up and remove the wood... and of course now I'm concerned about the fish's nutrition :馃う:

do you guys order live food online?

Registered
Fluval bug bite is good. It has black soldier fly larvae in it. I think they make it for bettas, the size of the pellet for bettas.

Another quality food is Repashy. You have to mix boiling water into the gel food powder. Once it gels, you can cut it into portioned pieces for the betta. You can freeze any extra. Get the 'Grub Pie' one which has black soldier fly larvae in it as well. You can buy them on Amazon or on their website.

Registered
7 gal bowl
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi! ...Update...

I've been feeding him as best as I can but I feel like he only eats when I'm not looking! He lets the food sink and sometimes doesn't follow it immediately. Then he seems to be hiding a lot again but it might be him eating the food he let sink? Or hunting? It's hard to see through the opaque green water still. I did take the wood out but I'm just giving it time to see if it clears by itself and I'm doing some small water changes like weekly or less. I'll admit I left a little piece of wood that I can still take out. I've unfortunately also had to suspend the siesta schedule because I'd been doing it with the blinds and I haven't been at home to do it, so it's sunlight almost all day here.

With regards to food, I ordered the Repashy and also the Fluval Bug Bites and luckily I bought it in flakes AND pellets, because he only eats the flakes, I think the pellets might be too big for him, he's still so tiny. I don't think he likes the Repashy but it might be too soon to tell because I've only fed it to him twice. Because I'm keeping it in the freezer, I leave it out for a little bit before feeding him so I'm not giving him cold food... but also he's a fish??? Insects aren't warm food!?

And I don't know if I said this already but... a little transparent shrimp appeared in my bowl. He must have come with floating plants I bought over a month ago and is surviving in there. I keep seeing him all the time... should I be worried that the fish hasn't gotten it? I think it's too big and fast for the fish lol, obviously I'm glad to have it. (unless its an indicator that the fish isn't ok bc he should have eaten the shrimp)

Anyway here's a photo of him from a couple of days ago, his fins are not improving but as far as I'm concerned that's the only thing that looks off about him to me.

Feather Wing Tail Fish Fin

Registered
7 gal bowl
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Water Vertebrate Plant Fin Hood

Flower Plant Petal Organism Terrestrial plant

Window Liquid Wood Grass Fish

Does he look bloated to you or is it just me? Sorry about the rushed photos.
I suspect he鈥檚 eating snails or snail eggs? Will he be ok?

If anyone says 鈥渙verfeeding鈥 I will scream. I鈥檝e been trying to feed him better but I see him like this sometimes and skip a meal or two because it scares me to give him too much food. I was underfeeding and his fins began deteriorating, and now he looks like this often鈥 I wouldn鈥檛 say I鈥檓 feeding him more than when we noticed the fins. So鈥 underfeeding. But he鈥檚 bloated (right?)

Help 馃挋
(yes I鈥檓 changing the water tonight, I鈥檓 waiting out the chlorine)

Registered
7 gal bowl
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
He looks bloated to me鈥
and last night when I was doing the 鈥渕assive鈥 water change, he got more bloated and really pale鈥
For anyone not following the other threads, I just did two 100% water changes to try to rid myself of green water. I think the water got too cold during the drip acclimation and he was stressed from being abducted, but I really noticed the difference today when he got back to normal. He regained his color and is active and flirty today but I鈥檓 still worried of course鈥 photos:

last night:
Plant Beak Wing Wood Feather

Plant Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Pollinator Tail

right now:
Plant Pet supply Beak Fish supply Fish

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Organism Bird

his belly right now:
Plant Leaf Botany Pollinator Organism

I鈥檓 so sorry about the quality of these photos鈥 I can do better but natural lighting is nearly gone and he鈥檚 not cooperating, you know how it goes鈥

Registered
Maybe an injury or stress from the 100% water change. Try a topical treatment, catch him and wipe the area with a Q-tip dipped in an antiseptic from the pet store, any antifungal meds, or maybe just a salt solution, or hydrogen peroxide solution.

His stomach looks better. It was full of food that's all. Not bloat.

Registered
7 gal bowl
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Update... as per Dwalstad麓s suggestion I did two 100% water changes a couple of months ago and have had clear water since then. Some of the plants remain hole-y and I've added iron which has kept my Salvinia happyish. The shrimp lived in there for a couple of months too until one day I found something that looked like its dead body, I might have dropped the iron too close to him or maybe Fish finally got to him.
I write today bc the fish is again in hiding and extremely defensive. I normally catch him very easily when I do a water change, which isn't super often, maybe once a month so I can reach plants for trimming. I couldn't catch him yesterday so I just did the water change and trimming with him in there. He otherwise looks fine, good color, and from what I can see of his fins they're ok... I've completely turned off the AC to see if that helps him come out today but we've been keeping the temp around here between 75F and 82F normally which is what I believe is good temperature for him?
I checked ammonia and nitrite yesterday and both parameters were fine. I've continued dropping his fav fish food in there just in case but I haven't seen him eat bc he's always hiding. (the Fluval Bug Bites in flakes)
The sun position has shifted so I'm wondering if maybe the light is bothering him suddenly so I've lowered the shade half-way.

Any ideas?

I'll post pics in the next reply bc it's easier to type on the computer and upload pics from my phone lol

Registered
7 gal bowl
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
He may just be associating the plants reaching a certain length with being chased around and removed. These solitary fish are more intelligent than we give them credit for.
OMG could that be true??? have others experienced this???
he does hate being removed. I normally catch him super easily but he loathes the little cup

Registered
7 gal bowl
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
here鈥檚 the photos鈥

Plant World Flowerpot Dishware Terrestrial plant

current situation

Branch Terrestrial plant Twig Plant Arecales

seen hiding from across the bowl

Plant Dishware Terrestrial plant Grass Ingredient

salvinia鈥 green but small-ish leaves

yesterday I pulled out a lot of this weed, which happens to mostly be near the bottom where hes been hiding (though he does often hide under the salvinia too)
Plant Botany Organism Grass Twig

hiding
Plant Furniture Leaf Wood Interior design

(ignore the blue net, I don鈥檛 even know why it鈥檚 there, I never use it)

Registered
OMG could that be true??? have others experienced this???
he does hate being removed. I normally catch him super easily but he loathes the little cup
These guys have nothing to do all day but observe your movements and habits. If you're looking at the bowl in a certain way and picking up the tools you usually use (the little cup, the tweezers, the scissors) to trim the plants, they are perfectly capable of piecing it all together.

Super Moderator
Some of these fish overweight "problems" are due to inactivity and boredom. Your cleaning activities as stimulating exercises for this guy.
If you really want to perk him up, add a female Betta.
BTW, your bowl is very pretty. Nice job!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts