Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
We need an update. Have you trimmed the plants? Has he come out from hiding?
The update was the update, he had been hiding for like two days, I tried to scoop him out as I normally do, but he FLED, so I carefully siphoned inside of a cup/strainer in case he got close (which of course he didn’t because he was hiding) and I trimmed plants… and he’s been hiding and not eating (that I’ve seen) for the past two days. I’ve kept the AC off most of the time and the temp in the tank has remained around 28°C

Last week I had been spending less time with him so maybe that’s why he’s bored? Also there was a little shrimp in there that perished that might have been a source of entertainment for him… He looks good in the sense that he has good color and isn’t sideways… I’m considering trying to catch him again and checking to see his fins aren’t sticking (since it’s hard to see with him hiding) and if they are then isolate and give him a salt bath for a couple of days?

About him and his personality:
I got him on Jan. 8 and he was itty bitty when I got him, I don’t believe he’s grown a lot. He only eats food in flake form and I think it’s bc of his size.
He’s extremely chill but not lethargic imo. He’s normally active and flirty and looking for people, but not at all aggressive like other bettas I’ve had/seen. He doesn’t jump for food, he doesn’t flare (I haven’t presented him with a mirror bc why would I want that), and he doesn’t constantly harass the snails. He lived with a transparent shrimp for probably 2-3 months and I’m not 100% sure he killed the shrimp bc I didn’t see it happen and I sometimes drop iron for the salvinia. Also I think the shrimp was too fast/big for him to catch.

As I mentioned, water parameters seem fine, but there is weed growing on my plants.

I’d love to get him a tankmate if that could help and he wouldn’t kill it/them/her?
Again thank you @dwalstad for complimenting my bowl. Some plants are doing better than others and I’m always wondering if I should be removing the holey ones or if it’s ok for them to be that way 🤷‍♀️ bc they grow fast.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The update was the update, he had been hiding for like two days, I tried to scoop him out as I normally do, but he FLED, so I carefully siphoned inside of a cup/strainer in case he got close (which of course he didn’t because he was hiding) and I trimmed plants… and he’s been hiding and not eating (that I’ve seen) for the past two days. I’ve kept the AC off most of the time and the temp in the tank has remained around 28°C

Last week I had been spending less time with him so maybe that’s why he’s bored? Also there was a little shrimp in there that perished that might have been a source of entertainment for him… He looks good in the sense that he has good color and isn’t sideways… I’m considering trying to catch him again and checking to see his fins aren’t sticking (since it’s hard to see with him hiding) and if they are then isolate and give him a salt bath for a couple of days?

About him and his personality:
I got him on Jan. 8 and he was itty bitty when I got him, I don’t believe he’s grown a lot. He only eats food in flake form and I think it’s bc of his size.
He’s extremely chill but not lethargic imo. He’s normally active and flirty and looking for people, but not at all aggressive like other bettas I’ve had/seen. He doesn’t jump for food, he doesn’t flare (I haven’t presented him with a mirror bc why would I want that), and he doesn’t constantly harass the snails. He lived with a transparent shrimp for probably 2-3 months and I’m not 100% sure he killed the shrimp bc I didn’t see it happen and I sometimes drop iron for the salvinia. Also I think the shrimp was too fast/big for him to catch.

As I mentioned, water parameters seem fine, but there is weed growing on my plants.

I’d love to get him a tankmate if that could help and he wouldn’t kill it/them/her?
Again thank you @dwalstad for complimenting my bowl. Some plants are doing better than others and I’m always wondering if I should be removing the holey ones or if it’s ok for them to be that way 🤷‍♀️ bc they grow fast.
My bad. I missed the part where you said you had already trimmed the plants. Personally, I'd let him rest for a bit before chasing him again. To put this in context, I've just gone through something similar with my apistogramma borelli, another fish with lots of personality. A lot of water changes. A lot of transferring from one tank to another. Now I'm waiting to see if my female is dead or merely hiding in one of the spawning caves. I'm giving it another week and if she doesn't reappear, I'm goin' in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might try adding some passive live food for him to hunt to help with the boredom. Only eating flake food isn't very stimulating for a predator's mind, and he clearly has some sort of drive to hunt (evident by the dead shrimp). I've never tried to find ostracods on purpose, they just showed up in my tank, but sometimes I siphon out a good number to give to my friend's Betta. Maybe a LFS would have them (likely as a "pest") in one of their tanks? Or you could try raising brine shrimp.

Not ever having kept a Betta myself, this is just an idea to give him a reason that makes sense for him to come out of hiding. Emerging to interact with the big scary human who catches him maybe isn't in his best interest, but hunting small tasty snacks might be more appealing. And over time, he might associate your arrival with the arrival of those small tasty snacks, and learn to accept you again.

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
bc I've had him for 6 months now and have experienced his "affection", I don't think he's afraid of me. I think he feels badly bc he's sick and ya don't normally loor sick people out with food. I've quarantined him and am going to salt him to see if that's enough. This happened one time before and it did work. (the time I started this thread)
My suspicion is it got too cold in the room and he caught something, just like before.

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
He died. He was having trouble breathing and he was laying down sideways but pointing up his head weirdly when I went to bed last night. I hate that I still don't fully know what did him in. I'm so upset and disappointed. I was hoping to have him for so much longer than this.

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
It was probably the temperature right? Like it got too cold, he caught something and even though the temp was appropriate later, he was sick and I didn’t heal him on time? Could it have been something(one?) he ate?
I’m so sad and so frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Unfortunately, most breeders of guppies and Bettas have no incentive to breed for longevity, which includes fitness. It's all colors and fast growth. Thus, the fish are genetically fragile and die young of "what-not." It's not your fault.
I've been selectively breeding my guppies for longevity last 5 years. It has worked beautifully and subject of in-depth article 'Guppy Longevity' on my website. (I only keep progeny from female guppies that survive over 8 months.) My fish don't get any special care. If fish sellers want to promote aquarium keeping, I suggest that they start promoting fish longevity. Early fish death is a big turn-off. Attached is picture of top female (at 14 months age) that is still reproducing at 18 months
Flower Plant Petal Botany Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Unfortunately, most breeders of guppies and Bettas have no incentive to breed for longevity, which includes fitness. It's all colors and fast growth. Thus, the fish are genetically fragile and die young of "what-not." It's not your fault.
I've been selectively breeding my guppies for longevity last 5 years. It has worked beautifully and subject of in-depth article 'Guppy Longevity' on my website. (I only keep progeny from female guppies that survive over 8 months.) My fish don't get any special care. If fish sellers want to promote aquarium keeping, I suggest that they start promoting fish longevity. Early fish death is a big turn-off. Attached is picture of top female (at 14 months age) that is still reproducing at 18 months View attachment 75295 .
Thank you so much for this validating answer. I've been feeling so guilty and frustrated because I didn't figure out what I did wrong and I cared so much for that fish... I won't be getting another one for a couple of weeks because a move is coming up and I don't want to provoque any unnecessary stress to my next "victim" ... is there a better species you might recommend for me? I definitely do need at least one fish because mosquito larvae are prevalent here.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this topic, but couldn't his labyrinth organ got sick from breathing cold dry air coming from the AC? As far as I know, placing betta tank away from draft and using lid if possible is one the main requirements for successful betta keeping. Bettas require not only warm water, but also warm humid air to breathe and AC provides exactly the opposite.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this topic, but couldn't his labyrinth organ got sick from breathing cold dry air coming from the AC? As far as I know, placing betta tank away from draft and using lid if possible is one the main requirements for successful betta keeping. Bettas require not only warm water, but also warm humid air to breathe and AC provides exactly the opposite.
@mysiak - You definitely get the forensic science award of the year!

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
I second that award!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts