Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it feels so gosh-darn liberating :D . I had this HUGE patch of pearlgrass (pearlWEED is probably the more suitable name) that was totally uncontrollable. I went to "manicure" it, today. I took off about 1/3 of the mass to the left. Then I proceeded to remove 1/3 of the stuff to the right. But before all of this, I had ripped out the pieces that had somehow "creeped" towards the back, under and past the driftwood. When all I had left was this still-substantial tuft left in the front, I flashed back to the previous times I had to carefully and painstakingly trim... Then I looked at the tuft and thought ahead to a month from now, when all of it will have grown back, and then some... Still looking at the tuft and anxiety building, I thought, "skruit; I don't need this grief," and I proceeded to uproot it all. Now I have a container filled to the brim with pearlgrass. I'm going to have to go through it ALL tonight, pick out the nice pieces, and take them to the LFS tomorrow.

That's not the only thing I got rid of. I had some scrawny, deformed A. reineckii withering away in the back and I ripped it all out. There were two stems of M. matogrossense in the same condition that I finally tossed. And I chucked *almost* all of the Lindernia rotundifolia. I kept three small stems to give 'em one last chance to grow for me. Where the pearlgrass was, I planted some "Lilaeopsis small narrow-leaf". I certainly hope they're not as unruly as pearlgrass.

Now if I could just clean up my own home by the same principles (toss what you don't need)... It'll never happen :wink: .

-Naomi

·
Registered
100 Posts
deja vu - i have gone through this for E. stellata, Micrathemum umbrosum, Hemianthus microthemoides, Ammania gracilis, Sagitarria subulata, Gratiola sp., all Hygrophilas, Limnophila indica, Rotala indica, Rotala macandra, Blyxa japonica, mostly the benefit of the LFS. Now it's crypts, mosses, ferns and other more housetrained creatures for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, budak!

At least your "extras" were worth selling/giving away. Saturday night, as I was trying to sort through the pearlgrass, I felt it "crackling" in my hands. I realized that while top 1/4" of the stems were still light-green and healthy-looking, the lower 2-3" were dark, shriveled and very brittle. I don't know why my pearlgrass ALWAYS grows like this. So to make a long story short, I decided that these were not worth salvaging, and I decided to dispose of the HUGE bunch - every bit of it. Sunday I put it in a glass dish and left it out in the sun to dry. Today it was like dehydrated parsley and I tossed it in the yard waste recycling bin. Bye-bye, pearlgrass!

Anyway, the day after I pulled out the pearlgrass I was looking into my tank and realized that I would no longer get to see pearling. The pearlgrass was really the only thing in my tank that would pearl, and it's no longer there. No more pretty little streams of bubbles... :(

I have a question for you, budak (or anyone who can answer). I presume you have experience growing erect moss...? I received some several weeks ago and tried (unsuccessfully) to tie them onto some small rocks. The cotton string degraded too soon and I guess the moss didn't have time to attach to the rocks. But then I started wondering if this stuff even *does* attach to rocks and wood. Maybe it's like riccia and doesn't attach at all? I don't know - how should I grow it? And do you find that your Amano shrimp have a voracious appetite for it? Mine seem to, except that they appear to be leaving the newest growth alone. Right now I just have it scattered on the floor of my 10-gallon tank and I don't know what to do with it. How would you suggest growing it?

-Naomi

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Naomi,

Sorry to hear about the pearlgrass! Actually, if you can keep your CO2 levels high, plants like java ferns, bolbitis, mosses and crypts will visibly pearl. Adding lots of K (I pump in a heaped teaspoon in my 3.5 ft each week) and maintaining KH at 4-5 helps.

My first and only attempt at erect mosses (from Kwek Leong) wasn't good, as I tied them on a spot which became totally shaded by java fern. I just visited Kwek Leong again last week and saw his erect moss thriving on his wood. My other mosses (java, Xmas, unknown species) are doing ok, and what I do is to tie them to wood using strong cotton thread, and making sure that the mosses are layered out thinly (tieing a few layers of fronds over each other tends to cause the lower layer to die off). Coolish water (maximum 28C) and good circulation (plus medium to bright lights and ample CO2) helps accelerate growth. SAEs and yamato shrimp, unfortunately can wreack damage esp. on new growth.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the tips, budak! I, too, have noticed that erect moss seems to prefer being under stronger lighting. As for my Amano shrimp, it appears that they actually leave the *new* growth alone; it is the older, darker parts of the fronds which get completely stripped away.

I think I can try to create something nice with the moss. It will take patience, however - a virtue of which I am quite lacking :wink: . What made me interested in trying it in the first place was the photo of that beautiful piece (tied to a rock, I think) in the post regarding his visit with the bryologist. When I received just the moss from another hobbyist, I saw that it was a far cry from the wonderfully-arranged specimen in the photo. What can I say... I discourage easily. But I'll give it one more try.

Thanks again!

-Naomi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts