Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have an odd issue of my java fern melting, starting at the tips and moving inward. Similar to crypt or swords melting, with lighter green/yellow with transparency starting. No other plants in the tank seem to be having this issue, and I have been keeping steady parameters and using EI dosing. Ideas?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi eco-mod,

Here is a site I use to help me diagnose my deficiency problems: http://www.finostrom.com.gr/images/aqua/fertilizers/map.htm You didn't provide any fertilization or water testing information. Do you test your water parameters? That said, I would start by checking my hardness to see if I had a magnesium deficiency.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have specific nutrient levels atm since I am waiting to test those tomorrow hopefully before I do my water change. My research is actually making me wonder if their placement has too much light and the S.A. climate tank setup may be doing the damage. I may be rescaping that side of the tank and they may move to my small livebearer tank.

Nitrate: ~10ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
GH: 75ppm
KH: 120ppm
pH: 6.8.
Temp: 78F

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
How big are the leaves that are going? Is it the larger, older growth? If so this seems to be a natural function of time IME. Even well cared for plant leaves die eventually. If not, I would tend to think that it's an excess rather than deficiency, since java ferns are a challenge to starve. I've heard of java ferns burning in high light; never seen it my self.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts