Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of red herrings out there regarding new and different varieties and cultivars of Java Fern these days, but "Reverse Tropica" is the real deal. Like the name implies, this plant has a leaf shape that is opposite of the Tropica variety. (dentitions) The leaves are indented or scalloped. A friend of mine found this plant in Japan (LFS) and has kept it for almost a year. The growth pattern and leaf shape has remained true.

Has Anyone heard of this variety and know from where it originated?

"Split Narrow Leaf" can best be described as narrow leaf "tropica". I have only seen this plant in a magazine out of Taiwan and have actually been quietly searching for it for a while now. Has anyone seen or heard of such a plant? I would give up my ipod, right arm, left pinky toe, etc for a cutting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've just seen the split narrow leaf in Singapore. It's a very thin variety of narrow leaf, with 2 "prong" on top about an inch long. Looks very much like a snake tongue ! They wouldn't give me a cutting though :-s , they were holding onto to those babies.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heyPK,
yup, that picture got axed along with a number of others in my album when APC changed over to it's new format. I still have the image somewhere. I'll go dig it up and post it again soon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I hope Aaron does not mind me posting the picture for him. :-\"

Let's collectively drool!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Marco AUkes said:
Well, I have them both and the "needle leave" is darker brown and laks the split leaves. Also this "borneo fern" is growing much faster.
I see, a very nice specimen you have there. I really like it. :D So, are "Borneo" and "needle leaves" actually a different species? I'm really confused with these new type of Microsorum sp.. In Indonesia, they are also called Microsorum "Taiwan". :rolleyes: . BTW, My Microsorum pteropus "needle leaves" also grow the split leaves. Some look like snake tongue, others have 3 splits.

This was my Microsorum pteropus "needle leaves" about six months ago. Now, I already have a super big bunch of them. I grow them in my 680 gallon outdoor planted tank. The leaves are about 30+ cm in height and 1+ cm in width.

6 months ago

recent pics

Regards,

Jeffrey :-D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Marco AUkes said:
Well guys, since you are drooling already; here is a better picture of this plant: [...] Here it is known as "borneo fern"
Marco, would you provide a close-up photograph of your plant please? From this vantage point, I can't tell if the leaves have "fingers" or not.

ragn4rok said:
BTW, My Microsorum pteropus "needle leaves" also grow the split leaves. Some look like snake tongue, others have 3 splits.
That is very typical Jeffrey. When my specimen had its first split, I was so excited and told Aaron all about it. Then he shot me down by telling me that it's normal and that the plant that he's looking for has many splits that occur along the entire length of each leaf instead of just at the tips. :doh:

Nonetheless, those are beautiful photographs. Would you create a new thread and tell us some more about the tank those specimens came from along with more photographs? Or you can PM me those details. I would love to see more as well as browse your photobucket gallery. Please? :pop2:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey cs, I didn't shoot you down! I was being as polite as I am phyiscally possible!
btw, I owe you some pond pictures, yeah?

I think we should make that old post differentiating "narrow", "needle", "skinny", "kinda narrow", etc. types of Microsoum a "Sticky" post... This discussion seems to pop up every several months.

Hawaiian,
Are you referring to the needle leaf in Marco's picture? PM me and I'll hook you up.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.