Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had some tied to a peice of wood and it got full of algea so i pulled it out. i replaced it but the new stuff is just laying flat, not branching out and looking big anf fluffy. the tank is a a 20H i have 4 fish, a lot of vals and some micro sword. no co2 and no ferts. what can i do to help it get started and growing on the wood?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Make sure you don't have it tied to tight. It will take a while for it to take off and start growing. I would suggest that you start a fert regimen & use a carbon source. This will help with growth & the algea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had the same problem but simply i took the moss and kinda spreaded it out more and tied only a small portion to my rock and i moved it to were it had alot if lighting and i tried that for a couple weeks and then it just to off i have about 3 pounds wen i started with only a small amount it was about the size of a baseballabout

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Check out the DIY projects forum for DoItYourself CO2. You can also use "Flourish Excel". You can find the Excel for around $5 for a 250ml up to $24 for a 2 Liter bottle. The DIY you can set up for almost free if you already have air tubing and a chech valve (and even those will only set you back about $6).

FYI, a 2 liter coke bottle with 2 cups sugar, 1/4 tsp yeast, and 3/4 full with water is a basic DIY recipe. Punch a hole in the lid with a nail, poke the tubing through an inch, DONE!
But read up on it before going ahead to see if it will be enough for your tank.
-Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Moss on wood needs to be watched carefully for algae outbreaks. I always go for the H2O2 and syringe method. A few blasts of peroxide on any newly forming algae along with water change usually does the trick.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Excel, dosed at levels greater than recommended on the bottle, is not compatible with cherry shrimp or any other shrimp, as far as I know. I wiped out my cherry shrimp colony by dosing at about 2X the bottle rate - at least I think that is what killed them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts