Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few java moss on my driftwoods, they used to be very green.
Eversince I trimmed them down and a few weeks now, I noticed they are turning brown.

It's really weird. Java Moss is not a demanding hight light plant.
Btw, any others plants on my tanks are growing perfectly well.

Is that something to do with the instable dosing ferts?
I have 2xT5 and one Coralife 65W. DIY C02 injection.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my flame and Christmas moss awhile back. It turned out that my ferts were too low for the amount of light I have. I increase ferts and the moss greened back up quickly.

I never suspected my ferts at first because all my other plants were doing fine, or so I thought. Now they really ARE doing good!

Hope this helps you.

-Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of ferts did you increase the dosing??

I had the same thing happen to my flame and Christmas moss awhile back. It turned out that my ferts were too low for the amount of light I have. I increase ferts and the moss greened back up quickly.

I never suspected my ferts at first because all my other plants were doing fine, or so I thought. Now they really ARE doing good!

Hope this helps you.

-Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
It could also be algae coating the java moss. I thought mine was turning brown but it turned out to be a brownish powdery algae (I think). Whatever it is, cherry shrimp feast on it when I put clumps of it into their tank. They clean it (and my hornwort) sparkling green.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dosed Seachem Iron-Potassium-Nitrogen and Flourite

Should I trim down all the brown so new leaves would grow out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts