Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I brought one of these about two years ago or so and have had a good experience with it. The timer solenoid is a great feature. The only cons are the needle valve not allowing for the finest tuning and I had some problems with the bubble counter leaking. I finally just removed the bubble counter. However, I know of several people using this regulator who have not had the problem I had with the bubble counter.

Rating8
ProsPrice, good quality, all in one regulator
ConsNeedle valve is a little coarse, bubble counter
Would you recommend?yes

·
Registered
98 Posts
Really does a good job in my tank. Needle valve is a little difficult to work with but not too bad. Plug and play functionality makes this regulator a breeze to set up!

Rating9
Proseverything you need in one complete package
Conssolenoid gets rather warm
Would you recommend?yes

·
Registered
36 Posts
Overall a great product that is extremely easy to use. Adjustment of the check valve can be tricky but once you have it where you want it, it\'s great. I had an issue with the check valve in the bubble counter sticking. Turned out it was backpressure due to the height difference of the aquarium and the regulator causing it not to open. The fix was to add another check valve inline near the top of the aquarium to prevent backpressure. Simple fix but another 15-40 bucks for a CO2 resistant checkvalve. Would definitely buy again!

Rating9
ProsVery simple & easy to use
ConsI had an issue with the check valve in the bubble counter sticking. Turned out it was backpressure causing it not to open. The fix was to add another check valve inline near the top of the aquarium to prevent backflowof water.
Would you recommend?yes

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I rate this as a poor quality product for two reasons:

1. The regulator developed a fault within 2 months of use rendering it unusable.

2. The warranty procedure with Transworld Aquatics took an unreasonably long time to resolve.

I believe that the JBJ regulator suffers from quality control issues. It is impossible to get figures for the number of defective regulators buyers have received, but I have confirmation from one vendor that there is an issue.

Rating3
ConsPoor quality control and build
Would you recommend?no

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just had this maybe a month or so and I\'m not quite sure why I have heard so many people say that the needle valve is tricky. I disagree. I find it very easy to use, quite accurate and big enough that you don\'t need to use pliers or fingernails to get a grip on it. I wish the bubble counter came with the \"bubble counter fluid\" that doesn\'t evaporate as fast as H2o, but you can\'t have it all. There is also no \"working pressure\" valve, which I have seen on other models. There is simply the needle valve, although it works so well there is probably no need for one. The solenoid has been rock-solid. I have yet to see how it performs when the tank dumps, but so far its more than I expected. My last regulator was a M3 (Monolith Marine Monsters) and this far surpasses it in both durability, design and accuracy.

Rating8
Prosplug-and-play, easy to use, accurate, price is right
Consnone so far
Would you recommend?yes

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I am currently using two of these on my tanks. They are very easy to set up and have been pretty much trouble free. I have had problems with the gaskets that go between the bubble counter and needle valve. When missing or damaged, the bubble counter will act very erratic.

On the first regulator, the gasket fell off and was damaged when I was adding water to the bubble counter. Other than this bit of user error it has been trouble free.

The second regulator was shipped without this gasket. In both cases the bubble counter needed to be adjusted every morning when the solenoid kicked the CO2 on. Once I figured out the problem it was easily cured with some o-rings from Lowes/Home Depot.

Customer support from JBJ is another issue!

When I was having problems with the first regulator almost two years ago (due to my own error) JBJ\'s warranty department did not have e-mail/internet access. Since they are in California and I was in Maryland, the time difference and their hours of operation made it very difficult to telephone them. they also did not have an 800 number at that time.

When I received the second regulator, minus the gasket, I contacted the retailer about the missing gasket, who contacted JBJ. Basically, JBJ told the retailer to tell me to go to the hardware store and purchase a gasket to fit the bubble counter as it wasn\'t \"cost effective\" to ship a gasket! How\'s that for customer service?

I would have to give the regulator itself a 10 but the poor packaging (missing gasket) and even poorer customer service made me drop the rating to an 8.

Rating8
ProsEasy to setup and use
ConsSeems some bubble counter are not shipped with gaskets
Would you recommend?yes

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had this in use for about 1 month. The bubble counter leaks at both the top and bottom, which initially wasted a lot of CO2. I believe I have fixed the problem with silicone tape. The needle valve remains erratic, sometimes I go to bed and it is bubbling fine, and then when I get up in the morning there are hardly any bubbles and it needs adjustment. I am rather disappointed in this product.

Rating4
ProsEasy to use
ConsGaskets missing, bubble counter leaks, needle valve erratic
Would you recommend?no

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very nice product, no major complaints. Over time the water used in the bubble counter evaporates and it must be replaced. No big issue, my diffuser also has a bubble counter so I dont notice it evaporated unless I tinker with the tank. My solenoid is plugged into my ph monitor so it automatically turns on and off through out the day. Nice product, would buy again

Rating9
ProsEase of use, Reliablity,
ConsReplacing bubble fluid, valve does need adjustment when tank gets low
Would you recommend?yes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts