Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the jbj regulator really that much better than the milwalkee? Or is it just a matter of simple preference. The JBJ cost more but it doesn't mean I have to assume it's better. Or do I?....I'm gonna buy one or the other so constructive criticsm is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
LOL...revistiting a flame war topic eh ;)

Actually, if you hunt around a wee bit, you will find a topic covering this..I'm too lazy to find it for you :D

I have both and like the JBJ for 2 reasons
1) built in check valvue
2) ability to use JBJ manifolds as direct attaachments for inection onto 2 or 3 tanks

It has a fixed pressure, but that doesnt effect either my high pressure diffuser or low pressure reactor since the needle valve allows for plenty of control.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Check the search engine.

General info:
www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2579&highlight=jbj+milwaukee

www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1389&highlight=jbj+milwaukee

I own both JBJ and Milwaukee (as of last week). I like the Milwaukee quality. It seems to be built well. The solenoid runs completely cool. The JBJ is easy to set up in that you do not have to adjust output pressure - just the needle valve. The JBJ solenoid runs warm. The JBJ has a built in check valve - which is is helpful. The Milwaukee needs a check valve which you can buy on-line.

If a potential user is nervous of setting the output pressure, I would suggest JBJ. If not, then either will do just fine. With prices fairly reasonable these days, I would not suggest buying individual components and making your own set up. It's better to spend the time on pondering ones aquascaping abilities...

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Tony,

Does the Milwaukee not also have the option of changing manifolds to service more than one aquarium?

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I am not sure. I just know JBJ offers a direct replacement on the signle needlle valve with a manifold that can have either 2 or 3 needle valves (each which can also have independent bubble counters)

For milwaukee, I bet you have to connect out of the stock needle valve which you need to then use wide open. then put the output tubing to a splitting manifold which on each of the outputs you can put an inline bubble counter.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think Robert talked about this before, and the Milwaukee doesn't have the option of connecting manifolds.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't remove the needle valve from the Milwaukee and replace it with whatever 1/8"NPT(?) fitting you see fit. These are all just brass fittings, not custom built parts.

What you will do by replacing the needle valve is void the Milwaukee warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm thanx for the link. Guess I'm gonna go with the JBJ (better safe than sorry)....Gonna go with an external reactor too. Didn't realize the powered ones have to be in the tank (got enough stuff to hide already)....

Gomer your right I am :wink: . I started this beacuse I was gonna get the Co2 combo from you know who. I was all excited about finding a system I could afford. Then all this talk started about it not being a JBJ regulator for sale. But I figured "big deal"...but I see its not that simple. Guess I'm gonna have to save a little more money (hell might as well go all out if I'm gonna get a pressurized system)

Anyone got any suggestions for places to get a Co2 setup for about 200 dollars (not counting the tank)...that includes a jbj regulator, Milwalkee controller, tubing, external reactor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see what I want at the aquatic store but I can't get the combo without buying the 3 bottles of PH solution, and 12 ft of tubing. Neither of which I need. Also I have to buy bubble counter fluid. I have no idea what that is do I need that?

68 Posts
Gomer said:
I'm not sure of prices, but I got all my stuff (2 different setups) from Aquatic-store including the 3-way spitter. Tell Marc I said HI if you do ;)

If you don't want ot order from You KNow Who, or Aquatic store, there is still glass cages (no JBJ regulator) and I think aquabotanic (I think they carry the JBJ reg)
I'm assuming you meant "Glass Gardens" since Glass Cages doesn't sell CO2 equipment.

I don't carry the JBJ unit yet, if anyone is in the market for a JBJ, there's only place to go as far as I'm concerned, Aqua Botanic. Tell Robert Crazy Eddie sent ya :shock:

68 Posts
For the record, to add a manifold to the Milwaukee regulator, you remove the bubble counter and run the needle valve wide open. The problem is, the bubble counter is sealed onto the 1/8" NPT threads and it will most likely break when you try to remove it unless you are very careful and even then, however they are cheap to replace, I usually give them away.

However, once it is off, any manifold, including I believe the JBJ unit will thread onto the needle valve as long as it's 1/8" NPT, although you may need to get a male to female adapter or vice vers.

Breaking the bubble counter in itself will not void the warranty as far as I know, in fact I've replaced them under warranty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the most dissapointing aspect of both regulators is their solenoids. It's a shame that neither company offers a plain regulator with a compatable modular line of optional manifolds, needle valves, solenoids and bubble counters that could be combined to meet individual aquarists' needs. Now that would be a great product!
___
Jeff

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Well its all a matter of price, as to why they include the solenoid. Whoever came first, JBJ or Milwaukee did this to be the cheapest regulator on the market. Any other regulator made for the aquarium runs $80 to $100+ just for the regulator without solenoid or bubblecounter. Solenoids run $50 to $75...if you look at Aqualine/Aquamedic, Ultralife, Dupla, ADA, Eheim and so forth. The "all in one" regulator is greater percieved value for lower consumer cost. I doubt they would ever make the solenoid optional.

If you want a good regulator with a good needlevalve and no solenoid, and a separate bubblecounter, it will cost you much more. 80 something for the regulator, 18 to 20 something for a bubblecounter.

One thing worth mentioning, the JBJ has a metal check valve built into the bubblecounter, not a cheap plastic one that you would have to buy for the Milwaukee.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Robert Hudson said:
... as to why they include the solenoid...greater percieved value for lower consumer cost.
So it's now our problem that their marketing managers are not experienced aquatic gardeners and that the consumers of these products don't know any better? Yes, it's all about perceived value.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
292 Posts
"$80 for a regulator".... come on Robert. May be technically true of "regulators made especially for aquariums" but most co2 gas regulators work just fine for aquarium use and cost half that or less. And Clippard valves are about $11-12 if you buy from a local Clippard dealer.

Bob :lol:

68 Posts
BobAlston said:
"$80 for a regulator".... come on Robert. May be technically true of "regulators made especially for aquariums" but most co2 gas regulators work just fine for aquarium use and cost half that or less. And Clippard valves are about $11-12 if you buy from a local Clippard dealer.

Bob :lol:
A decent CO2 regulator can be had for less than $50.00 (including shipping) at numerous places, but when you add the cost of an adequate check valve, needle valve and bubble counter, you're getting into the range of a Milwaukee or a JBJ and then it comes down to features.

I would also take issue with Robert's erroneous assertion that the only check valves available for the Milwaukee are "cheap plastic". Obviously there are a number of very good check valves available for use with any CO2 regulator for extremely reasonable prices. "Plastic cheapos" are of course also available.

Both the JBJ and the Milwaukee are basically marketed as economical alternatives to more expensive equipment and the "plug and play" aquarists, both are essentially in my opinion of equal quality. I have never read anything anywhere to indicate that either one is better than the other.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts