Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i am planning out my next tank, and i am trying to gather the equipment over the next month, I want to get a 60P (20 gallon tank) and i want to use metal halides HQI, i want to invest in some aquamedics either the 70 watt or 150 watt...i was wondering if you guys have input on which one i should get...i dont know if 70 watts is enough, or if 150 watts is WAY too much, but i mean if i ever want to use the pendant for future tanks that may be larger i would want to consider that option, but yea what do you guys think, in terms of wattage?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
If you wanted to go with the 150watt in case you get a larger tank, you could raise it higher from the top of the 60P to keep from overpowering the smaller tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use 70W Aqua Medic Ocean Light pendant on my 60P. Seems to be more than enough light for this size tank. I wouldn't want any more light on my setup, but that's just me:) There are others who would want more -- this is perfectly managable. FWIW, 150W will give you whopping 8.3 WPG, while a 70W delivers 3.88 WPG!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, yea i am trying to figure it out because i want to grow red plants, and definitely go for that deep red look in the background atleast. so i want to make sure i have ample light, the only reason im asking is because this is my first time iwth metal halides and it will be a fun learning experience to actually use a pendant for personal use.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I have the AquaMedic on my 60-P. I got it at DFS for less than 1/2 the price of the ADA pendant last spring. It came with a 10000k 150 watt bulb, so I swapped it out with a FW ADA bulb. I cannot seem to locate anyone who sells a 70 watt 6700K or 8000K MH bulb. If there was such a bulb, I think you could just substitute it in as the ballast is rated for 150 watts anyway.

The look of the AM blends in quite nicely with the Solar I arm IMHO. I have it positioned 12" above the water surface. I just rescaped my tank last week and since the light is so intense, I am letting my photoperiod go 3 hrs a day while things get established. Then moving up to 4 hrs next week, with an eventual ceiling 5-6h max (ADA recommends 6-8 hrs photoperiod max).

One big advantage of this setup is the vertical clearance that allows you to work on the tank while the lights are on so you can really see what you are doing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the AquaMedic on my 60-P. I got it at DFS for less than 1/2 the price of the ADA pendant last spring. It came with a 10000k 150 watt bulb, so I swapped it out with a FW ADA bulb. I cannot seem to locate anyone who sells a 70 watt 6700K or 8000K MH bulb. If there was such a bulb, I think you could just substitute it in as the ballast is rated for 150 watts anyway...
Here are some links to 70W 8000K & 6500K bulbs...
http://www.watergrass.net/en/details.php?pid=381&cat=2
http://www.businesslights.com/70w-10000k-double-ended-metal-halide-lamp-p-707.html

IME, the stock 12000K bulb (closer to a 10000K) in the Aqua Medic fixture outperforms either of those bulbs by leaps and bounds, in terms of brightness, color rendition and plant growth.

Substituting a 70W bulb into a 150 W fixture might be a great way to burn down your house, if it would even fit into the 70W fixture. I can't really say it's a good idea ;)

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Here are some links to 70W 8000K & 6500K bulbs...
http://www.watergrass.net/en/details.php?pid=381&cat=2
http://www.businesslights.com/70w-10000k-double-ended-metal-halide-lamp-p-707.html

IME, the stock 12000K bulb (closer to a 10000K) in the Aqua Medic fixture outperforms either of those bulbs by leaps and bounds, in terms of brightness, color rendition and plant growth.

Substituting a 70W bulb into a 150 W fixture might be a great way to burn down your house, if it would even fit into the 70W fixture. I can't really say it's a good idea ;)
LOL! Over the years I have found many other ways to do it :painkille! I guess there is more to MH lights than simply changing to a lower power bulb (assuming it fits) even though its within spec of the ballast.

In case anyone's interested I have couple of 10000K 150 watt MH double ended bulbs (unused) to get rid of since I've gone ADA :crazy:. Now :focus:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
woah cool....thanks guys, and thanks roybot73 for those links! i think that definitely pushed me towards getting the aquamedic for sure now, since i was iffy about using a 10K (out of preference) i really am more used to growing plants under 6500K and 8000K from the ada pc lamps.

So i think im planning on getting a 60P for sure,
and an AM 70watt
i plan to make my own stand, starting in a couple weeks, and probably use a round metal pipe and bend it to make a pendant arm.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
jeffb

FYI when you select the bulbs, I got the Coralife 6700K MH lamp as the initial replacement the 10000K AM OEM bulb. Mistake! To my eyes the 6700K made everything look too yellow and there was an uncomfortable glare. The ADA 800K was much easier on the eyes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i might try to 8000K 70 watt...non ADA im not sure if that will be a mistake, but i can always stick with the 10K if i have to but i dont want my plants to grow all weird

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i ordered a 70 watt fixture online today, and i have my ada stand and tank sitting in my closet and i plan to assemble and put some of the equipment together. I bought some rock and substrate today as well and plan to atleast fill the tank with water and let the tank cycle, and let the new ADA substrate balance out. i find that this helps a bit in preventing plant melting. while the tank is cycling and while im waiting for the pendant, i will try and fashion my own "arm" out of piping to hang my fixture. Do any of you guys know what height i should hang my 70 watt fixture above my tank? Im still figuring out what height i want my arm to be at, without looking too awkwardly tall or too short.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
i ordered a 70 watt fixture online today, and i have my ada stand and tank sitting in my closet and i plan to assemble and put some of the equipment together. I bought some rock and substrate today as well and plan to atleast fill the tank with water and let the tank cycle, and let the new ADA substrate balance out. i find that this helps a bit in preventing plant melting. while the tank is cycling and while im waiting for the pendant, i will try and fashion my own "arm" out of piping to hang my fixture. Do any of you guys know what height i should hang my 70 watt fixture above my tank? Im still figuring out what height i want my arm to be at, without looking too awkwardly tall or too short.
Which light did you order?

Bunbuku you have the 150 over a 60p?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Which light did you order?

Bunbuku you have the 150 over a 60p?
Yes indeed. My photoperiod is only 3 hrs since I set the current tank up in late Nov. The tank is along the east wall of the room. The rest of the time it gets natural lighting coming large windows that open south.

This maybe be why my HC is not growing as well as the old iwagumi which had a 6 hr photoperiod. But then I don't want the stems to get out of control.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Yes indeed. My photoperiod is only 3 hrs since I set the current tank up in late Nov. The tank is along the east wall of the room. The rest of the time it gets natural lighting coming large windows that open south.

This maybe be why my HC is not growing as well as the old iwagumi which had a 6 hr photoperiod. But then I don't want the stems to get out of control.
That probably makes sense. I don't think a 3 hr photo period long-term will be the greatest conditions for plants. I'm actually setting up a 60p open-top tank and deciding on the lights. I like the look of the MH, but I also don't want any noise. If you had to do it again would you go with the same light.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
That probably makes sense. I don't think a 3 hr photo period long-term will be the greatest conditions for plants. I'm actually setting up a 60p open-top tank and deciding on the lights. I like the look of the MH, but I also don't want any noise. If you had to do it again would you go with the same light.
I am very gradually increasing the photoperiod will move to 4 hrs this weekend. The stems and Blyxa, roirama even the UG seem to be doing just fine though. In fact, I had to give the stems a big hack job after coming home from the holidays. Its just the HC that's a little wimpy.

Will I do MH again? Yes, the convenience of being able to work on the tank with the lights on and plenty of vertical clearance is really :cool:. Not having to drill holes in the ceiling to mount at T5 fixture :cool:. Noise is not an issue. There is a slight hum from the ballast that is just barely perceptible above background noise in the living room. I imagine that if you had the ballast inside your stand you would not hear anything at all.

Will I get same AquaMedic again? Yes if it was available and the price was good. At the time I bought it the Aquamedic was on sale and cost less than 1/2 the price of the ADA Solar I. I have not been able to find it listed on-line lately but is still see it on their website http://www.aqua-medic.com/oceanlight_pendant.shtml.

Here is another attractive candidate but the prices are approaching ADA territory http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~GL1113~idCategory~FILTFIMHPDDE~category~Double_Ended_Halide-Pendants-Metal_Halide-Light_Fixtures-Lighting-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Cost to operate - here is an old thread of mine on power consumption for my rig. Not that bad really when you have power from the grid http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/55696-keeping-aquarium-running-w-o-power.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hello everyone heres an update...things are coming along smoothly and quickly. I had just setup my stand and tank, and fashioned the arm for the light, and hung up my metal halide fixture. i went with the 70 watt because i want a longer photoperiod and i hardly get any direct sunlight in my apartment. i think that it was a good choice because yea there isnt any sound, and the light intensity looks like its well more than enough.

heres a link to the fixture i purchased
link

i used these pipe "U" clamps from home depot to attach the arm to the stand, and i also bought these small clamps to tie together the cables so that i can loop the fixture to the arm. i am going to be ordering my plants soon, and hopefully aquascaping right when i get the plants...

ill be using an eheim ecco filter and my ada CO2 advanced system until i get my hands on a 2 pounder CO2 tank, and my regulator from home in norcal.

enjoy some setup pics

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Looking good Jeffboyarrdee! :p. I almost went with the ADA metal stand too but decided on a custom wood one in the end bec I wanted hide the hardware.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i will post more pictures of my tank planted and filled. But as of now do you guys know any freshwater plant stores in the LA area?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts