Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw in someone's sig, that they use jello instead of sugar. i am wondering what would be the pro's to using jello instead of sugar. in my understanding you could cut up the jello cubes so you have more control of quantity, but you would still need to redo your diy co2 just as often. so are there any other pro's to this method? call it my need to know.

·
Registered
676 Posts
From all I've read you may need to redo the solution just as frequently with the Jello. But I think it's mainly done so that the CO2 output is more consistant throughout the life of the solution. The dissolving Jello meters out the sugar to the yeast so that you don't get the early CO2 peak then drop off that you get when the yeast has access to all the sugar at once in a straight sugar-water solution.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use Jello on my 10gal.

I only have to change it about every 3 months. The alcohol builds up so much in the water that it inhibits the the yeast. I have to change the water half way between, but the jello/sugar mixture stays good for about that length of time.

The output of CO2 is very very low, so I wouldn't recommend it but for small low light tanks. Like mine. I suppose you could use 2 bottles, but then you are no better off than regular DIY CO2.

Ben

·
Registered
852 Posts
When I was doing DIY, I was using gelatine.

It's good for a consistent output, but it has to be changed just as often as the standard bottle. Sometimes some of the gelatine will float up into the water and the bubbles will stop...to remedy this just pour out the overlying water and add new water and yeast.

At one time I had 4 bottles hooked up to a gang valve, but my basement is cold so I never got the metabolism out of the yeast that other DIYers have.

I recently switched to pressurized...everything I needed was $170.

65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have pressurized also, i was just intrigued by the use of jello. all the info i read says the same thing. you have better control of amount of co2 but have to change it just as often. so in my opinion there would be no practical reason for using jello over sugar considering the extra work involved. especially since you have to change it just as often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.