Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! How ya been? I went away again! darnit! Money and two near full time jobs and (I have an amazing boyfriend now) and other things got in the way and sadly, tank sat in waiting.

I'm going to shift my activity from my other thread to here, for a fresh start and avoid bazillions of pages.

But things are getting back on track and I'm slowly going to reignite my routine since the tank has been on such autopilot lately. And thanks to you guys, and APC's featuring my tank last year, Practical Fish Keeping Magazine out of the UK featured me in their December publication. What an honor! Holy carp!

CO2 has been off now for quite some time. Most of the stems have been removed/died off.

Tank currently looks like this:

However, the right side there has filled in since I added a rubin sword and the vals filled out as well.

Ugly! But the fish are thrilled. Emperor tetra babies, diamond tetra generations, etc.

I scored three Dicrossus filamentosus for $12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The direction I want to take the tank now is still for a lush jungle feel, but larger, more low-maintenance plants. I have come to terms with the fact that my beloved red plants are just too needy. Plus, the tank will be moved AGAIN around July.

I missed you all!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Jess - good to see you back! Love those kittys! Even with your so called neglect, it looks pretty healthy in there!

Congrats on the Emperor Tetra babies! I think that's a hard fish to keep, much less breed! They must feel quite at home to breed in there!

Looking forward to your updates and closer pxs. :D

BTW I was on a forum for England and they were talking about your aquascaping skill in that country too! You are internationally famous!! :D

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
No kidding! Congrats on your success, both tank-wise, romantic-"wise," and kitty-cat-wise! Tank looks super, and I am beginning to appreciate healthy looking tanks than those that are crammed full of hard-to-find species. It stinks working two jobs and trying to find an ounce of energy to work on a tank after coming back home to do chores and make supper, etc. As long as you and the fish are happy, that is all that matters!

Thanks for returning! I think a lot of people missed your sense of humor and wisedom, Jess!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I actually like this tank in its current form. For a fish habitat, nothing could be better. The high-tech, manicured, gotta-look-good-at-all-costs aquarium probably isn't the best for the critters that have to call it home. Your plants look healthy, the jungle look is very interesing and natural.

Oh, and congrats on getting featured in the magazine. How cool is that?

Keep us posted huh?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Welcome back! Your tank looks great, I can't believe there's no CO2.

Speaking of 'reds', what about a Tiger Lotus? I've had great success with one in my tank (and I have a hard time growing much of anything with color) .

-Dave

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awww, I really missed you guys :)

Things are definitely good in life, just so darn busy! Dan (boyfriend) and I are active in Iraq-veterans causes and I'm currently trying to start a pet-food drive organization around here as well, while maintaining roughly 60 hour work weeks, kitty shenanigans and sometimes sleep ;) It's a good busy! My most favorite shop is slowly phasing out all freshwater ("we'll still carry ADA merchandise") and going strictly reef. So that sucks, but hey....it happens.

Drinda - I was really surprised that the Emperors bred. I started out with roughly 8, and am down to three original adults. And baby makes 4. I was pleasantly shocked :) They just seem to die off, but these guys stuck around.

And I'm awkwardly flattered with the "fame," haha. I don't know so much about any sort of "skill" they may be referring to, unless we're talking about "plant some stuff and walk away!" haha

Don - I'm definitely still very silly, if anything, which a ton more goofy stories to tell from the last few months. That tank of yours knocks my socks off...must be amazing in person!

Bryce - thanks, and will do :) The fish are happy and as always, that's all I care about. Your tank has been one of my role-models, so I appreciate it.

Dave - thank you! I do have some lotuses/loti? haha. They're dormant right now, though. Sigh!

It was a big thrill to have that copy of PFK mailed to me with my pictures and interview in there. Apparently, I was chosen because I'm a young female which is rare in the hobby. It's pretty neat :) Also, it was very interesting experiencing the slew of Facebook friend requests that popped up from them looking me up afterwards. "Hi, saw ur tank, it's cool" hahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Good to see you back again! I like how your tank is looking now as I've always been partial to the less structured look. That it's so much easier to maintain is just an added bonus. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.