Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have waited absolutely forever for this tank. Now that I have it - I am completely blown away.
www.Swampbottom.com made me such a beautiful Stand & Canopy and the price I paid for them along with the All Glass 75 Gallon Tank with Black Silicone was so good - I can't post it. You will have to ask Mike Andrew at SwampBottom in Stephentown.

I have photos on my camera's memory card, but at the moment the home computer is in the shop.

This journal will be very different because I am going to have Grim and El Exorcisto write a lot of it, if they will.

I have been away from planted tanks for a good bit just keeping the status quo on my tanks at home and in the office. Otherwise for the last 12 - 18 months I have been reading Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Aquarium Fish International and Fish Books, Fish Books, Nano Reef Books, etc. And some Home Depot Books.

Grim and El Exorcisto got me out of the books and got it done. These guys are great and really, really know their stuff. Grim just laughed at the expression on my face when stuff just needed to be RIPPED apart and put back together. And El Exorcisto really knows how to work with electrical! The glow outside from my newly made light fixture was quite a sight to see. :smile:

When asked what I had, well my answer was,"That's Dan Urkevitz Shrimp. That plant - well, I think it is ..... And that is Hemianthus Micranthemoides that I got from Bert H. That's Melon Sword that I got from Rohape. etc."

If I can get some of the head knowledge that Grim and El Exorcisto have down into this thread, well APC and fellow hobbyists will be all the better for it.

So, if either of the men are not too shy - I look forward to reading what they write down.

One disclaimer. I am not an Aquascaper. I am not an artist, I am not a scientist. I am just a fellow hobbyist learning how to do this stuff.
I still say to myself all the time, "OH my gosh! It's growing!"

·
Registered
298 Posts
Grim and I put together two ODNO strips, pushing around 220 watts out of a pair of Phillips Daylight 6500Ks and a pair of Cool White 4100Ks. The substrate is Miracle-Gro Organic Choice capped with Black Diamond blasting grit. The tank was tarting to clear up when I left after the setup, and the planting didn;t happen for a couple days. Hopefully you can get some pics up, Jim... It's no good to tell a stroy without a few pictures to go along.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the home computer comes back from the shop and I get some free time, I will more than oblige.

The best part of this tank is that the family is for the first time becoming involved in my hobby.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm looking forward to this build! Bigger aquariums are very satisfying, you actually have room to grow out plants and be able to make your dream aquascape a reality! I guess the only draw-back is that there IS no such thing as to big!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got my home computer back from the shop. Upgraded my internet speed and my boys downloaded something that killed the computer.

I am back online for the first time in 2 weeks.

It is now a more family social hobby and with the help of Charlie and Grim, I have taken some of my hobby 'offline' and have been able to do amazing things.

I don't know the names of the majority of the plants that I now have in my tank and know that I need to do a 50% water change this weekend (should have done that last weekend).

My wife went with me to Eddies Aquarium and she blew a bunch of $$ on fish. She felt that if we did not add fish to the tank soon, that the dominant Angelfish would just grow TOO HUGE. I just reread the entire Barron's Book on Angelfish and did not see a max size that Angelfish can grow to in a 75 gallon tank. The smaller fish is well, small.

One of the local guys in Schenectady by the name of Rick S. breeds Angelfish. I have never been able to meet with him in person or see his fishroom, but I know that he breeds them and supplies the local fish stores. Rick is either volunteering with his local Fire House or out on the road for his job. His wife is just the sweetest person on the phone too. Someday, maybe I will be able to connect.

My wife currently did not want any more Angelfish but I may mix that up at later time.

We got 4 Otos, 1 Angel Catfish, 2 pair of Red Velvet Swordtails (those look AWESOME) and one pair of LyreTail Mollies colored Bright Orange with Black Eyes and Tails/fins.

And oh yeah, generations upon generations of Poecilia Wingei (Endler's) that I breed from the fish that I received from John N. have been put into the 75 Gallon tank. They are very hard to catch and of course hide very well in the plants.. and I don't want to tear up the tank catching them...My 10 gallon tank has become an Endler Breeding Tank and I am experimenting with High Lighting CO2 and Java Moss and HM. Java Moss and HM requires much patience, artistic ability and very, very small hands or more patience and a good pair of tweezers.

I will get both Charlie and Grim some Irish or Scottish liquor or Beer and see if I can get them to whip up a good Irish/Scottish Tale to go with this thread.

They actually know which plants are Foreground Plants and which plants are Background plants.

I know books, magazines and work, work, work.

These guys know planted aquariums.

My wife let me get this tank so that I could consolidate all my little tanks into one.......

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I will need more help from Charlie and Reamer because I think I may have the $$ now to take the dive into 'real' CO2.

Charlie, at our next club meeting I would also like to test that salt water mix for you and use all the test kits that we all have (I have a good bunch) to see the results that we get.

Now matter how many times I test water, it still drives me nuts with some of them trying to figure out some of the color shades.. light blue vs lighter blue or is that really lighter? What number is that?

And I would like to work on your tanks also.

And yes, photos. Meanwhile it is 12:51 and I need to go to bed (I could stay on APC all night).

Look forward to your posts.

Anything related to the Capital District Aquatic Plant Society (draft name) for Upstate New York can be posted here.

Grim, thank you for all the work that you have put into this. Bryce has given me some very nice encouragement regarding this. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow. Sounds incredible! Can't wait for updates!
I"ll be getting a 75 gallon in 8 years! heehee

The last time I've seen you on here.... don't remember exactly, but I read a post about your NPT betta bowl @ the office. Wow, such a long time ago.
You've turned a droplet of water into a lake...

·
Registered
151 Posts
jimbos tank is great he is going through almost every type of algae but bba from what i can tell but hey it happens soon hopefully he will get some pics of the tank up if not i might have to go back over there and take a couple and post them for him so Jim get some pics going

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to dedicate an entire night to just doing this. Downloading 1,398 photos from memory card for camera onto photobucket and then sorting aquarium photos out of those and then posting a whole bunch into the thread.

The amazing part of this tank to me is that my entire family is involved in this one and that I got to do it with fellow hobbyists in the flesh.

Grim is helping get our local freshwater aquatic planted tank club and I am learning how to take this club offline and become more social.

It is nice to take the hobby from the solo except for computer online friends to social with the family and friends in the flesh.

Once I get a night to dedicate my time to posting photos, I am sure that I will learn a lot from fellow hobbyists comments and suggestions. As with anything, the only limiting factors are time and money. :D

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check this out!

http://live-plants.com/

(I hope I don't get in trouble for this one.)

Tell me what you think. (for another tank.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Jim sorry I didn't call you back, right when you called my cat was having trouble breathing and we had to bring him to the emergency Vet where we later had to put him to sleep. Glad you like your filter, I want to see some pics of your tank ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Urkevitz, always good to hear from you buddy. Your Rena XP2 has been fantastic! From now on, I will only buy used canister filters.

I am no longer working weekends so maybe sometime you and I and grim can get together to do some fish stuff or just hang out.

I forgot, do you prefer Coke or Bud?

I am on vacation this week. Maybe I can finally get the pictures online... (yeah I know..)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jim i wont be back in upstate till x mass eve were staying on the boat a bit longer fishing is good down in fl were going to the keys later tonight get in some night fishing when i get back you better have pics of the tank up or i will be coming over on x mass to take pics hope everything is going well back up in NY and ghengis i will make sure he gets pics soon

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah. I suck. Meanwhile now that I logged on it is 11:54 and I know if I am not careful I could end up online at APC until 0400 hours.

It is all stuck on the memory card.

Tonight as I was doing a water change (even with Python takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours) I was thinking about the idea of teaching my 12 year old and 10 year old how to use my APC account and use photobucket. Hmmm...

All the photos are stuck on the memory card.

I may eventually consolidate my tanks. Very hard to do. Hard to admit that I don't have the time for them all.

I really do need to focus on this one. The way the canopy is designed (which is beautiful) - it is just one major pain in the ass to take off. No such thing as messing with the tank for 5 minutes.

But I am so psyched that I have enough plants in the tank that giving away trimmings would quite frankly be fun on a weekly basis.

I may transfer some plants from my 10 gallon tank with just the Endler's into the 75 gallon tank. (Where to fit them all..?)

If I had more time, I would love to set up a breeder's tank just for Endler's or Mollies to raise and sell as feeder fish.

But I don't.

Rainer, when you get back I am seriously thinking of giving you my 'Betta Bowl at the Office'. At the end of the day I looked at it and felt guilty. I just have no time to do anything with that tank while I am at work(except feed the fish in the morning) and the Anubias needs a little bit of TLC.

But here is my big mind block.

I am doing DIY CO2 and have now run the airhose directly into the intake for the XP2 Rena Canister Filter.

If I understood a small part of the book I was reading 'The Simple Guide to Planted Aquarium Plants' - published by Tropical Fish Hobbyists; if I measure my pH from my tap water that I put into my tank and then compare that to the pH of my tank after 24 hours of my CO2 running - I can figure out how ppm CO2 is in my tank?

I feel stupid. Do I have to test the KH or the GH also?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
If I understood a small part of the book I was reading 'The Simple Guide to Planted Aquarium Plants' - published by Tropical Fish Hobbyists; if I measure my pH from my tap water that I put into my tank and then compare that to the pH of my tank after 24 hours of my CO2 running - I can figure out how ppm CO2 is in my tank?

I feel stupid. Do I have to test the KH or the GH also?
Yes, test KH as well. This is a pretty inaccurate way of getting ppm though, as it measures any acidic presence in the tank - tannins from driftwood will throw the measure off.

Does your camera not hook to your computer with a USB Cable, by the way? How do you get yourself a camera with no way to get the pics out of the memory card?

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grim, thank you very much.

I performed the trim (or harvest) shortly after you visited so the Rotala (or whatever) is much more under control.

I like the photos.

I miss APC (and the time to come spend time here). If I could - I would take a photo once a day, upload it to photobucket and paste it here.

Hey, how is that for a New Year's Resolution?

Honestly, I am enjoying all my tanks but still trying to figure out how to cut down on the the time it takes to maintain them. This tank is the easiest!

On this tank I am working on keeping the hair algae under control just by ripping it out and trying not to rip up the other plants with it. Because I have such good growth in the other plants I don't worry so much.

It used to be a big hassle to take the canopy off and try to get my hands inside.

I love the Rena XP3 canister filter on this tank. It is so easy! If I could find 2-4 others for 10 gallon tanks at as good a deal as I got on this one....

Rainer, next time you come by - I hope you can teach me how to figure out the CO2 ppm. That and water changes keeps the hair algae at bay, correct?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts