Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someday I'll want a big ol tank, maybe a 90g and (dream of dreams) something real big for the basement, like 180g or something. I've always liked the look of these guys and from reading they sound peaceful enough for well-thought community, but I know they are eartheaters.

So my question is to anyone who might have experience with them, how difficult will it be to keep the plants down? I mean obviously HC is going to be out of the question, but I'm thinking that possibly a planted tank with primarily large plants in the back/sides like echinodorus bleheri or maybe bigger crypts with maybe 6mos+ of established root growth would survive their digging? Or am I deluding myself? Would I just end up with 'floating' amazons?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I don't have a bit of experience with this fish, but you could certainly get by with things that are attached to driftwood or rocks, like Anubias, etc., if you can't keep other things rooted.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
You might also try plants in pots then cover the surface of the pots with mesh & rocks. That would give your plants a safer place while allowing the fish plenty of area to root through.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent suggestions, I hadn't thought of the mesh thing before and rooting to wood is certainly possibly (though I'd really like to work towards something heavily planted). I imagine I could cover the potted plants with mesh and then with something like 3m quartz or pool sand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts