Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Normally I don't use lights on my tanks. I happen to be lucky and have an attached sun room/greenhouse attached to my house so the glass roof usually lets enough light in. This usually means my plants grow much stronger in the summer and hang on in the winter. You can really see the difference in my garden plants where they have to stretch to reach the sun but I never saw any difference in the aquarium plants (other than stopping growth) until now.
I had "planted" a branch with "Windlelov" java fern and all summer it did very well. Covered with leaves and as nice as you could want. Now in winter it started to stretch. It's "Trident" or certainly looks that way. I have that elsewhere and if I break off a leaf of the new growth of "Windlelov" it matches "Trident"exactly. Now I just can't wait to see what happens to both of these varieties as the longer days approach.
I wonder if any one else has noticed any of the varieties of java fern reverting to other varieties? :pout:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I have a clump of Java Fern that seems to have stunted. Before I moved, it was shaded by a large Ozelot sword, so I wasn't surprised by it being smaller. Now that I have moved, it gets the same ligth as the rest (for 2 months now) .

It is still actively growing, but it stays much shorter (the leaves are shorter) and grows slower than the other Java Fern I have in the tank. It all came from 1 place (other than the Windelov I have) . I've been watching it for a couple months now to see if it catches back up, especially since all of it is exposed to full light right now.

If you want I'll post a pic on this thread of the two together.

-Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I joined I said I didn't know much about computers. Well I did take a picture- No I didn't clean the glass or set it up but I did get it on my desktop. Now I can e-mail it to you but as far as publishing it?? Wants my URL address?? Help and I'll post it- or I'll try. I see in my origional post I spelt house-hose and a couple of other things I would have done differently so.... George

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
When I joined I said I didn't know much about computers. Well I did take a picture- No I didn't clean the glass or set it up but I did get it on my desktop. Now I can e-mail it to you but as far as publishing it?? Wants my URL address?? Help and I'll post it- or I'll try. I see in my original post I spelled house-hose and a couple of other things I would have done differently so.... George
You have to upload your px to snapfish or flickr. Once you have it uploaded you bring the px up and click on all sizes. Choose the size you want and it will have a URL for that size. That is the URL that the little px icon of this post box want. Copy and paste it in the px icon window and it will insert it in your post.

(BTW I fixed the spelling you wanted.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let us see if this works. If it does you can see the reaching out of the leaf on the center right. The leaf above showes more of the traditional "Windelov" growth

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that did not seem to work although when I clicked on, edit my last remarks, the page showed the address of where the picture was. Of course I couldn't change the size but when I punched in the address on my reply it did bring up the picture. O'well flickr didn't work for me either.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I'm not a very good 'explainer', so I can't really tell you how to do the pics. I use photobucket to upload mine, but I actually prefer the other photo sites because I can't view photobucket pics when I'm at my work computer due to certain security settings. Find out what TexGal uses and go with that. Whatever site she goes through is secure enough to pass through our filters at work.

Here is my Java Fern in the mean-time. The shorter growth on the left is actually more mature/older than that on the right. The past 2 months they have each received the same light and started at the same height (I trimmed much of the older leaves after the move due to nutrient defficiencies and damage from the move, etc... )

-Dave

PS. Please forgive the shot of "tail-rot" in the background on that Bleeding Heart. That's a whole different issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts