Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Here's my tank.. sorry pic is a bit dark .. will post some close ups later.

Specs:

Tank: Juwel Rio 125 liters (33g).
Dimensions: 81 x 36 x 50 cm
Lights: x2 - 28w, Juwel T5 with reflectors, (getting very old)
Substrate: Bottom layer "Dupla Root" and Latrite balls mixed with gravel (gravel 1-2mm grains, 2-3 inches deep).
Water changes: (before: 20% every 2 weeks.) Now once every 2 months to clean filter if needed.
Micro Fertz: Amtra systems (once in a while).
Macro Fertz: None except for fish food.
CO2: None, liquid carbon substitute "EasyCarbo" (haven't used in a while)

Fauna: 28 male guppy, Neocaridina heteropoda Shrimp, Ramshorn snails and MTS.
Plants: Anubias nana, Anubias nana 'petite', Bacopa aquatica (?looks like mini B. monnieri), Bacopa amplexicaulis, Bolbitis heudelotii (African fern), Cryptocoryne wendtii, Cryptocoryne x willisii, and Echinodorus tenellus.

Some nusence algae at the moment..

As you can see I'm trying to move towards an "El Natural" method. Except I never did the soil thing. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction: There were only 18 guppies at the time of the above post (still have them), don't know how I missed that.

Was wondering if I can get some opinions, what do you think is better:
This first picture with the Bacopa at the back-left corner.

or without the Bacopa at the back left corner.

2nd picture is photo shopped (of course).

· Registered
40 Posts
i think your plants look fabulously healthy. it looks like you are cluing in to the importance of geometry. The bacopa provided a counterbalance and its absence creates a stronger negative space. hardscape (driftwood or rocks) would help you get settled. most people use the pieces as a way of delineating the background from the foreground.

just a penny for thought.

-steve

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Steve, Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I didn't reply sooner ..

So you are saying if I remove the Bacopa to replace it with hardscape, no? Actually, that's more or less what I was thinking. I agree delineating the background from the foreground is what I need to do, not an easy thing with the dimensions of my tank. I have a few pieces of lava rock I've been saving for my next re-scape. But I think for now, I've decided to leave the Bacopa where it is.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.