Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hurricane Ike motivated me to find a solution to keep my aquarium running for 1 week without power. First, I had to figure out the how much power my setup consumes. To do this I dusted off my Seasonic Power Angel http://www.seasonicusa.com/power_angel.htm and hooked it up to the Belkin surge suppressor that powers my aquarium setup.

My ADA60P has the following: Aqua Medic 150 watt MH, Ehiem Ecco 2234, ADA EL selenoid valve, 2 timers (one for the lights, other for selenoid). Lighting period 6 hrs/day. I monitored the power consumption for 24 hrs. Here are some figures:

Lights out - 16 VA; 10 watts; 0.14 amps
Lights on - 183 VA; 180 watts; 1.55 amps
For the entire 24 hour period the setup used 1.49 kWh

Given this, it seems that a UPS in not a viable option, unless we run the filter only. Short of a generator, I wonder if a 12V car battery hooked up to an inverter might do the trick. Anyone know if this might work in theory at least?

As an aside, my utility charges $0.156/kWh, so it costs me $7/month to keep this thing running.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The downside is the noise and CO. There have been a lot of cases of CO poisoning due to generators since the hurricane.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The downside is the noise and CO. There have been a lot of cases of CO poisoning due to generators since the hurricane.
Wonder if there's any way to take that CO2 and pump some of it back into the tank for the plants...... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I would think people would not have the generators near an open window... How are they getting poisoned?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder if there's any way to take that CO2 and pump some of it back into the tank for the plants...... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I would think people would not have the generators near an open window... How are they getting poisoned?
The roofs have intake vents at underside of the overhang that is supposed to let cool air into the attic as hot air exits at the top of the roof thru the attic vent. If you lived in a single story house its very possible that the generator could be close enough to one of those vents to allow the CO to enter into your attic. Some people also run generators in an open garage that is connected to house and get nuked that way.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the entire 24 hour period the setup used 1.49 kWh
Correction I had the timer to the MH lights set for 7 hrs for the above. My eyes are getting too old.

For a 6 hr photoperiod, the net power consumption is 1.32 kWh, working out to $4.94/month

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found these Optima batteries that can be deep cycled. I have seem these at my local Sam's Club http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge/technical_specs.php#yellow1. I think this might be the most viable option for me. I wouldn't necessarily get one now but next time if when a hurricane strike is eminent:crazy:.

I figured out that keeping a generator running 24/7 is not cheap either. One of these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=47742-348-030345&lpage=none consumes 12.9 gallons of gas/24 hrs. At $3.50 per gallon that's $45 a day!

I guess I should stick with plants that don't demand so much light. I am replacing my ex-HC lawn with Lilaeopsis brasiliensis!

·
Registered
92 Posts
One option is a Honda eu2000 ...

Very quite, very small and enough power to run a fridge and your tanks..

We kept both tanks alive with a generator and water changes....

This spring we are installing a stand by generator.we lost way to much food in our fridge and 3 freezers...

John

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One option is a Honda eu2000 ...

Very quite, very small and enough power to run a fridge and your tanks..

We kept both tanks alive with a generator and water changes....

This spring we are installing a stand by generator.we lost way to much food in our fridge and 3 freezers...

John
Hi John:
I agree the long term best solution is one of those kW standby generators that runs on LNG. Price of admission is steep, but worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts