Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

We've got a great forum here with a good mixture of very experienced and new hobbyists. It's only natural for those looking to learn about the hobby to post questions which may have already been asked and to make replies that may be somewhat off topic or viewed as "non-essential" by the more experienced of us here. It's not hard for anyone to forget that we were all new to this at one time. That being said, please keep your posts as on topic as possible.

One of the things I love about APC most is that we don't judge members by their post count. You'll find that some restraint and meaningful posts will get more replies and earn more respect from the community than a larger number of extraneous posts. Please be considerate of the entire community. Nobody likes to sift through a long list of one or two line replies that would be better done through our Personal Message option. This is especially true of the moderators whose job it is to read each and every post made.

I know I'm as guilty of this as everyone at times. All I'm asking for is a little restraint and consideration before making a reply or post. "Think before you talk" and "It's better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it" both apply equally well to the internet as they do in real life.

Consider this your one and only warning. If I come across a post and/or entire thread I feel isn't needed (ie fluff/SPAM) I'm going to delete it.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would like to echo Phil's comment.

This forum has interesting topics but present "newbie-to-forum" behavior is plain annoying. If you are not adding value to the topic, then why would you post useless information. I was part of various forums and was eventually forced to move because of "childish" behavior and high traffic in Lounge section vs. more "on-point" topics.

One line responses like:

- Thanks
- I will try that too. Sounds good.
- Your tank is hot
- I would love to have tank like you.

and the list goes on and on and on and on.

If I posted in given topic, I will get email notification for each reply. I just don't feel like going to the forum, scrolling through 3 pages to read - "Thanks.

Some people mentioned that they have 56K but they post a lot of useless 1 line comments. Whats the point ?

Please make this forum a bit more organized for everyone. You will start loosing more organized people who just hate to see those "childish" responses. I had this on mind for a while but I'm glad on of the Mods brought it up. Thanks Phil

·
Registered
147 Posts
True, all newbies to the hobbie have the same questions and mostly the same problems too.

Let me suggest, and I am willing to put time into it with some guidance of course, putting together a compendium of aquascaping basics (i.e., lighting requirements and supplier references, CO2 options and references, test kits, main nutrients and target levels as well as references of suppliers).

I know there is not one way of doing it, but for the sake of getting a newbie on its way, choosing one way of doing it to get them started and interested and asking questions that enrich the community, its worth doing.

You could do this by restricting the people who can post to those that have registered... and upon registration of every member you send out a welcome message with a link to the article and presents it as an guide of what every newbie should now to grow great plants...

just my two cents...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just to further explain my previous topic.

I didn't mean that Newbie's = ,person new to the hobby, topics are useless. :idea:

I meant that Newbie Behavior = coming to the forum and posting in Lounge section, thanking in every topic, and other examples which I posted abovve are useless. :idea:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jay Luto said:
I would like to echo Phil's comment.

This forum has interesting topics but present "newbie-to-forum" behavior is plain annoying. If you are not adding value to the topic, then why would you post useless information. I was part of various forums and was eventually forced to move because of "childish" behavior and high traffic in Lounge section vs. more "on-point" topics.

One line responses like:

- Thanks
- I will try that too. Sounds good.
- Your tank is hot
- I would love to have tank like you.

and the list goes on and on and on and on.

If I posted in given topic, I will get email notification for each reply. I just don't feel like going to the forum, scrolling through 3 pages to read - "Thanks.

Some people mentioned that they have 56K but they post a lot of useless 1 line comments. Whats the point ?

Please make this forum a bit more organized for everyone. You will start loosing more organized people who just hate to see those "childish" responses. I had this on mind for a while but I'm glad on of the Mods brought it up. Thanks Phil
Ok Ok I can take a hint. Sorry if I caused any kind of inconvenience to you.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Wait folks. Phil's comment wasn't directed at anyone in specific. In fact, we have been discussing a post similar to Phil's for quite some time among the moderators.

Short posts are clearly acceptable if they serve a purpose. That purpose can be to share your feartfelt feelings (e.g., "I very much appreciate you posting that as I have a similar problem." or "Way to go, Phil!").

When a post is simply done to increase point counts without any other purpose, then the post should not be made. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a newbie.
I don't have many information about this "hobby" (it's more than that, isn't it?), I've been visiting this forum for quite a while and I haven't registered before because I always felt intimidated by the amount of info/input and the quality of the moderators and users, specially after slowly browsing to some of their homepages.
And I would be lying if I'ld say that I don't feel intimidated still. My contribution to this forum is very poor and I'm aware of it. But what really attracted me to this home was the high pedagogic core of it. I use it mainly to learn.
I know that between people who have a lot of experience, the central focus within topics is sharing, and it's perfectly natural that people with high information/education tend to keep a high level of input when discussing subjects, searching for even higher levels of knowledge whilst trying to level up the quality of the forum.
But for me is plain learning. Most of what I do here is sit down and read, I use the search tool a lot. I always preview my replies and I always hesitate before submitting an answer.
You wouldn't believe the number of replies I've left unwritten because I felt they were inferior in usefulness, aggravated by the poor quality of my written English (school english).
I realize most of my replies are useless but sometimes it's very hard not to... communicate. Just communicate. When you are a very outspoken and well humored person, it takes time to learn how to refrain from posting some comments.
Even if it is just to say "Great tank!" letting everybody know how impressed you were with it.
This is my way of explaining some of my posting behavior and apologizing. Hope you guys understand my position.
Best regards.

P.S.- By the way, I really don't care about the point system. I have the feeling I'll be an Algae Grower for a long time... :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Art, I wrote my previous post before yours was visible. Sorry about the context "conflicts". I perfectly understand Phil's comment, but I felt I had to explain myself.
Regards.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments. Please don't feel like you need to apologize for being new to a hobby and not having a lot of information to share. Understand that your questions are just as valuable as any answer you can provide at this point.

Anyway, I think we've discuss point enough so I'm locking the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.