Aquatic Plant Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Kim..you have done an absolutely amazing job!

I wish I had those skills. I have redone my tank ..umm, who knows how many times...and still can not get it to look as great as yours!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Kim, its definitely not L. aromatica, i've had this plant before and it looks like Pogostemon stellatus broad leaf to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yup! Pogostemon stellatus broad leaf for sure. i have the exact colorization and built in my tank as well. i had them grow as sticks (as big as 8") now im trying to branch them and make them bushy.. let see how it goes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
jdinh04 - thanks for the confirmation. Cavan also confirmed my suspicion!
That explains a lot, I knew you weren't dealing with L cuba, the closeup really shows it. Did it have smooth edged leaves in the beginning, then transitioned over, or were the 'teeth' just not that visible in the first few pics?

The tank still looks great, nice work. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok its setups like this that make me want 10 new tanks...*twitch*

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
thanks for the kind comments. I have been resisting more tanks as well - ive been so busy ive even contemplated reducing by one!

This has been a fun tank though it has suffered over the last month through 2 power outages so the plants are in recovery at this point I hope. My next door neighbor has planted tanks as well and we have talked about going in a generator or batter backup or something.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually right after I got this tank my area suffered from a HUGE storm which knocked out power for a week+. The same day I bought my first plants for the tank! Thankfully (sorta) my LFS has relatively poor lighting for the huge tank they use for plants, so I guess they were used to it or something.

During this outage we, my bf and I, got a generator. We live in an obscure area where we lose power frequently anyways (although usually for relatively short amounts of time). I do not regret the purchase at all :).

Nick

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The tank is on the mend and looking good. I had a series of problems spanning the months of late summer to early winter which included:
repeated power outages
getting behind on water changes
switching brands/types of GH chems (I use RO water)
CO2 fluctuations

This all led to a super BBA outbreak on top of weak plant growth. I have beaten it into submision by rectifying all issues above but it has taken several months. I wish I had taken a picture of the algae explosion but If I had had time to do that I could have been doing a water change.

I lost virtually all of my pogostemon stellatus and ludwigia cuba so now I have primarily limnophilia aromatica which I had a few stems of to see the difference between the p. stellatus.

I will post a pic this week.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I feel your pain. I've been dealing with similar issues. Plumbing problems, absence, CO2 issues. It's been a real pain. It's got me thinking about a different/new tank..

41 - 54 of 54 Posts