Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'ver had white spot on my koi in my quarantine pond a couple of times. It's not that rare at all but you don't always see the white spots and have to do a scrape to see the parasites under a microscope.

I'm puzzled why White spot has even been mentioned though as fish losing scales is not symptom of it. :confused: Is agree with the idea that your koi being in a glass tank is getting startled and crashing around which knocked some of his scales off. His crashing around is likely to knock into the goldfish in such cramped quarters (compared to a pond that is) and startle them which has probably caused their scale loss. Covering the tank is probably well worth a try and good advice.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The koi has no scale loss so far, just the ich. The gold fish has no ich just the scale loss. There is nothing in the tank that could damage the gold fish. So what you guys are suggesting is up the temp and cure the ich first then worry about the remaining problems after ich has been cure? What is the recommend dosage for salt in freshwater tanks?
But your first post says, "I recently add the koi and within a few days i notice the koi started to lose a few scales. Now the gold fishes start to lose scales too." You never mentioned Ich. White spot is a real killer in koi and you should really do a scrape and look under a microscope to confirm the diagnosis before treating. If it is white spot then you have two real options; salt at 0.5oz per imperial gallon (4.5 litres) or Malachite Green and Formalin. For more info on koi heath check out the articles on this website; what the author of this website doesn't know about koi isn't worth worrying about! His book, Advanced Koi Diagnosis and Treatment, is excellent too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts