Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a fish illness section so I'll post here for now.

I have a small koi (about 5 inch) and 2 commets in a 55 gal temporarily. I recently add the koi and within a few days i notice the koi started to lose a few scales. Now the gold fishes start to lose scales too. The temperature is at 75 F atm and pH is around 6.5 from my most recent test today.

Normally to cure ich i just add aquarium salt and raise temp to 80 F, but with the gold fish and koi, is it going to be a problem for them?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just storing them inside for the winter, they are in a 55 gal as i stated on my first post. I have never seen they fight their fin is still in perfect condition no rips, just the scales are coming off for some weird reason. I'm thinking of raising the temp 1F daily until i reach 80 for 1-2 weeks and add aquarium salt to get rid of ich first then worry about that scale loss after. Only the Koi have ich and only the gold fishes lose scales atm they haven't infected each other yet; the entire tank prob is infected with ich since the koi has it so there is no point of isolating any of them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that, but the koi is only 5 inch and the gold fish bear reaching 2 inch. Those in a 55gal atm isnt overstocking, but when the koi grow bigger than I prob need a much bigger place to store them inside. I already have a pond that is around 1000 gal outside for them in the summer months.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The koi has no scale loss so far, just the ich. The gold fish has no ich just the scale loss. There is nothing in the tank that could damage the gold fish. So what you guys are suggesting is up the temp and cure the ich first then worry about the remaining problems after ich has been cure? What is the recommend dosage for salt in freshwater tanks?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts