Aquatic Plant Forum banner
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
This way of growing plants sounds like an aquatic plant Russian roulette process! It clearly requires a lot of knowledge that we don't get from caring for our aquarium plants.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
So I have to be up for my day job in about 5 hours. So not gonna be much typing

Things continue to do well. Very very well actually. Most of my plants are right on track. My Iguazu 2009 and Cryptocoryne x timahensis are both recovering well. Not gonna be ready super soon, but they are alive and contamination free too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Another quick update and then bed.

Things are going along well. I'm waiting on samples of my new cups to come in. Found a new supplier. Going to be getting 2000 of them if they're as good as they look online.

23 species. Should be looking to fill wholesale orders in 4 to 6 weeks. B2B only. 4 stores in NY, a few websites, a a few stores in other states so far.

If I can hit 2k cups per month I'll be quitting my job and going full time with this.

Also going to be moving my lab in a month or so, since if we can't move I'll be needing the room it's all in right now for a nursery. Expecting our little girl in October.

So very close to making this into a reality I can feel it at my fingertips. Now I just need to get the customers to support that kinda volume.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
A year ago this week I was on an ordering spree with all the cash I borrowed from my 401k to make my dream of owning my own legitimate lab business become a reality.

This week I'm hoping to get the samples of the containers I'll use to start doing wholesale orders, very close to pulling this off. 36 species of plants thriving.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
What's your LFS I'll shoot em some samples once I get my containers in ;) I can hit the production, finding customers to take that production is gonna be my next hurdle.

Adirondack Aquascaping

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Something that might increase the market for these plants would be an article, or series of articles about how to best use them. Most of us have no problem using cuttings, or potted plants to get our planted aquarium started, but I'll bet that 80% of us are very wary about handling such tiny, seemingly fragile "baby" plants. I think I would make a big effort to get the word out about how easy it is to use these plants. (I'm just assuming it is easy.) There are several on line and printed publications that would probably welcome such articles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Busy busy. Moving my lab next week to a larger space.

Just bought another piece of capital equipment at auction. Got a 260 liter autoclave. No more pressure cookers once I get that baby set up.

No time lately to even think tho. Ugh. It's coming though!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just read this whole thing in a couple of long reading session. It's very exciting to hear the story of your business's success! Any chance you'll distribute to Canada some day? 😄

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Has been quite a while.

I haven't fallen off the earth.

So my plants will be debuting at AE. Swing by the Pleco Feeder table. He is bringing a 130-140 with him.

Lab is coming along. Working to try to get set up with a wholesale distributor. Figure out some packaging ideas and hiccups. Moving forward. Buying and introducing new plants. Designing and building a laminar flow hood.

Not a lot of free time; between lab, my normal job, and now this little girl... Not thinking about posting too much.

Things are going great. And now I've got this little Ray of sunshine to look out for less than a day old rn. (Aeryn Lynn)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats! I've been following this thread eagerly, wanting to make a tank that's snail-free and tissue culture plants virtually guarantee that venture! Keep up the forward progress!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Going to be starting to fill orders. The day has finally come.

Everything will be done through Jermack Cultivated Plants. All order inquiries will be handled and fulfilled by them. I'm not going to be doing D2C sales ... But if you have a store or a website and are interested, contact them on the Jermack website. Tell them you want to know when Adirondack Aquascaping tissue culture plants are available and are interested in placing an order. If you don't own a business... Contact your favorite shops and sites and tell them to inquire about them!

181 - 197 of 197 Posts