Aquatic Plant Forum banner
141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I'm very sorry that this has taken such a bad turn. Obviously, a good job is always more important than our hobbies, even one potentially profitable like yours. I wish you good luck finding a suitable job.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Thanks. We got blind side. Company had been telling us for months and months everything was great. Then cut years of R&D, ended it all. Let go between 30-90% of staff, depending on department. Some were actually fully liquidated. We went from ~60 techs between all 4 shifts, to 16. Rumors of layoffs began just a few days before they happened.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Thanks. We got blind side. Company had been telling us for months and months everything was great. Then cut years of R&D, ended it all. Let go between 30-90% of staff, depending on department. Some were actually fully liquidated. We went from ~60 techs between all 4 shifts, to 16. Rumors of layoffs began just a few days before they happened.

im So sorry. Words really cannot describe that feeling, multiply that by your current situation of having to move etc. I know how that feels since, well you know my background. I wish the best of luck to you, make sure every once in a while you keep in touch.
As hoppy said, hobbies are not as important as what keeps us afloat in the "real world" sometimes sacrifices must be made.
Do please be safe, and successful.

-
Nate

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
This was supposed to be my exit strategy >.> I needed more time to make it into something first haha. This time next year I was planning on being gone. This is just many months too early.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Crowdfunding is tricky. People are motivated by what they'd get in return. Obviously what they get back can't be more that what they donated. Maybe different packages of plants for different levels of donation.

You'd need to up your online presence too like start a youtube channel updating your progress. This is a good thing since this is free advertising and will bring in customers. And your donors will probably be repeat customers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
No online presence except for this. Should have done something months ago. Extra money earlier on would have helped move faster back then. Woulda been farther then I am now. But now I'm losing a job in the low 50k's a year. Donations for business won't help.

I'd debated on doing a Kickstarter a while back. Then laughed the idea off the table. Begging for money. Not my style. And realistically wasn't gonna ever get enough from it to do anything substantial. The only things that get funded with those sites are big and flashy. Consumer goods. Could not fathom something like this getting funded. So I didn't. Hence the whole selling all my penny stocks (had been conservatively playing them for bit and actually doing well, not millionaire status, I missed that call by a few weeks on one of them, haha), and borrowing half my 401k. I was never going to get investments from a VC or crowd funding without those 3 precious words- proof of concept.

I *have* investors interested. Not even from this sector of business. But it won't be in next 90d that I'm able to lock anything down. Maybe next spring. Who knows. But they're substantial, genuine VCs. Successful ones. I don't know if I want to work with them though, but that's a thread for a different day. I needed 6 more months .... 6 months I might have been at a spot where I wanted to leave, and not had to leave. Now I just need to find something that'll hold us over. Preferably in this area. I could take ... 3, 4 dollar cut. Max. And THAT would be like, PBJ for lunch every day level living with our loan payments (college, cars). We have more into paying for those college degrees than rent hahaha (I have AAS, BSc, and half a master's; wife has two AAS, BA, BS, and is finishing up her Masters).

Regretfully at this point, when I actually have a lab and plants growing and things to show for proof and to substantiate my Kickstarter or w/e, I am now on a clock till I run out of living income. Lab doesn't need the money. Could help, sure. But doesn't NEED it. It'll crawl along slow and steady and eventually get where I want to be. As long as I can keep a roof over it. We're on a 90d paid non working period. Still employees but not allowed on site ($$$$$$ IP from major companies like Apple and Microsoft and AMD, and DoD contracts and IP that go with them, billions of dollars worth, so we had to turn our badges in but stay on payroll for 3 months in accordance with WARN act, then get our severence packages. This is basically a 3 month paid vacation). So at the end of 90d I either need a job or I end up on unemployment. Which is the equivalent of 10.50/hr here in NY. That's "move in with parents" level of income with our student loans. Anything shy of 22.50/hr is, tbh.

So I'm still working on plants. Have a lot of spare time now TO work on them. But only so much I can do. Only so fast I can go in a sub optimal space. Family is helping look to try to keep us, if not local, close. But I don't know if I'm even going to be in this state in 3 months time. If I had more established and going, had better sterilization initially and had gotten everything clean up front easier without the mortality. .. I'd have had inventory looking to go out the door in October/November. Instead, I'm still dealing with contamination ive slowed but not eliminated. I'm sitting on maybe half the total species I started with, and most of that is not in TC anymore. It was too be expected. And spreading myself so thin initially didn't help.

Things like buying 40 different species, rather than, say, 10 species but 3-5 cups of each ... That hurt me. More starting material would have meant higher chance of survival of *something*. And from a few survivors I could have made many plants. But I bought single specimens of many plants. And then was spread too thin to keep up with contamination amongst them by myself. When I was working in an actual research lab, we didn't establish more than maybe 3 or 4 plants at a time. Gave you the ability to focus on them.

Just needed 6 more months.... Maybe I can find something local that'll hold us over until I can make this work. That's all I need. I can relocate lab to a family members house. Mother's former bakery. We can live in smaller apartment. Not a big deal. Just need to find something to afford bills.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Are you an IT?
which if ur living close to NY and have a 1 1/2 hour drive limit then that may be the problem cause the cost of living in NY is xtremely high

Honestly tho- if u need somewhere to keep ur plants I can make some big tank thing setup just for them- obviously this would be a last resort (due to liability and obvious risks) but just putting it out there- IM HERE IF U NEED ME [for anything]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Failure analysis technician. Formerly of Globalfoundries. I am/was a transmission electron microscopist.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Issue is, it's a super specialized field. Lacking master's/md/PhD, I'm not going to get a job in biological imaging. I've been out of a profitable commercial bio resrarch lab space for 4 years now, so not going to get a decent paying job as a higher level tech in one of those. Not that there's any in NY that pay close to what GF payed. 15 bucks an hour at Regeneron. I could make that at Price chopper or McDonald's. And it's still not enough to make up for lost income/benefits. Closest I've had a call from so far (ik, ik, it's only been a few days....) Was a materials science lab. They found me. But they're in Manhattan. Same job I do currently. And with long island cost of living... About 10 an hour too low.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
That sucks so bad :l
I really cant say more than that- cause thats what it is. Sucky.

I really wish u luck :/ ill say a prayer for u tonight. <3

I gtg, ill keep an eye on this thread!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Issue is I live in the wrong area of the country for this kinda work. But it's where family is and where we want to live. And my wife needs to get her permanent teaching license here in NY before we move or she will have to a) live in another state long enough to license there before moving back, locking us away from home for years, or b) finish here in NY, another 1.5yrs of teaching in this state before her certificate goes from temporary to permanent. If neither of those happens, she has to start back with student teaching, take thousands of dollars in exams, and start all over like she was a fresh college grad.

Option b is most preferable

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Hi everyone. Just an update. Little one.

Still looking for work. Still getting paychecks through end Nov as part of severance package. Have used all this free time to not only apply for work (400+ applications), but have also kept working on this.

AR mini is selling. Got about 45 containers in the first round that are ready to go. Staggering them so I don't have a massive stock that I can't sell and then die in containers on me so they're small batches. Laganendra meeboldi red is about 2mos out. As is Micranthemum umbrosum (giant baby tears) and possibly a limited run of crypto spiralis 'tiger'. I've just ordered some stuff to make steralizing new plants easier, effective, and less lethal to them that will hopefully help me get some new stuff in to culture.

If we have to move then I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now I have this and I'm still moving forward. Gotta head out to I can get an order in the mail to Chicago though before USPS closes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Still no job. One interview. Hundreds of applications. So. Ignoring that bit.

Have made my first sales. Facebook and discord channels that I'm in for a few. And an aquarium store bought 20 containers. Shipping tomorrow actually. Not enough to be sustainable, hah, but it's exciting none the less. Finally caved and bought a label printer. I'll need to eventually get upc codes registered, and get actual proper packaging, but for now my new Dymo will do the trick. Slowly slowly moving forward. Testing out my new peroxide to steralize plants. I think I ran a little strong for the flame moss, that might all be dead again, hah. But the laganendra seems to have cleaned up nicely. Jury is out on the Cryptocoryne I tested. I'm going to have to find the concentration and time that works best for each type of plant. I'm using the limited publicly available research journals, seeing what they did for whatever aquatic plant they were using in each given paper. It'll take some tweaking but I'll get it. It's all part of establishing plants; you need to figure how best to steralize them without killing them. That's why I'm testing flame moss, and not iguazu 2009, hah.

But it's still a thing. Still slowly moving in the right direction. I also finally bought a proper notebook to be making drawings of design and plans for all these tanks I keep coming up with in my mind and jotting down. Hoping to start work on the first one in the coming months. That all relies on me getting a job. We'll see. Not giving up yet :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
So far just the AR mini.

When I was starting out I had a lot of issues that I expected to face, but I still had to overcome them. AR mini made it though the steralizing I used to clean them up the best. I have dwarf hair grass, Cryptocoryne spiralis 'tiger'. Micrantheum unbrosum (giant baby tears) coming along a little behind. I can't wait until they're good to go). Still working to get laganendra fully sterile. Also working to establish several mosses and other plants currently. They won't be ready for some time yet though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
So far just the AR mini.

When I was starting out I had a lot of issues that I expected to face, but I still had to overcome them. AR mini made it though the steralizing I used to clean them up the best. I have dwarf hair grass, Cryptocoryne spiralis 'tiger'. Micrantheum unbrosum (giant baby tears) coming along a little behind. I can't wait until they're good to go). Still working to get laganendra fully sterile. Also working to establish several mosses and other plants currently. They won't be ready for some time yet though.

How can I purchase them?

141 - 160 of 197 Posts