Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my perpetual search for a white plant, the Lagenandra thwaitesii just may really strike an accord. Does anyone have practical experience with this species? Does it retain the beautiful white edges when submerged?

Other images of this plant lack the attractive white outline. What could account for such drastically different variations?

As always, my thanks.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I've got what I think is L. thwaitesii (it hasn't flowered yet) growing in the a greenhouse. It's done best in a well drained pot with soil. In the past I've had it in a clay based substrate in a small indoor stream feature as well as in the above soil with a self-watering dish under the pot. As soon as I took the dish away and let the pot drain after its daily watering new leaves started growing. I'm hopeful that it will flower sometime this summer.

After trying the different types of substrates and growing conditions I'd have to make the guess that these plants prefer a loose substrate with decent circulation. They may be a good candidate for undergravel heating as well.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information Phil. Have you tried growing it submersed yet?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Not yet, it's still trying to get used to growing again. Once it's big enough for me to split it I may try it submersed, it's a BIG plant though. We'll see.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Phill,

Large plant? Mine never got very big at all - about the size of an emergent growth C. wendtii.

Do you have L. ovata? Now that is a large plant.

I think the white edges are an artifact of the photo media used and the lighting. Mine don't have white edges. What makes us think it should have white edges?

Bobo

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I could have any species to tell the truth, I got it at a club meeting and have forgotten the species and have no label. That's why I want so badly to flower it. Right now the tallest leaf is on an 8" petiole and the leaf itself is 4-5" long.

Looking at the leaves on that plant it looks as though they have a darker, glossy, green center portion and a lighter outer rim. That may be why it's supposed to have those white edges.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
34 Posts
Laganandra thwasii

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:36 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<I could have any species to tell the truth, I got it at a club meeting and have forgotten the species and have no label. That's why I want so badly to flower it. Right now the tallest leaf is on an 8" petiole and the leaf itself is 4-5" long. >>

Phil, a plant this size sounds more like L. ovata - the only other Laganandra commonly offered or even seen here in the Western Hemisphere.

It could be something else, but odds are it's ovata. No Lag. t. I've run across was ever THAT big!

Regards,

Bobo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts