Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets just say for the sake of argument that you have the option to buy a large tank that is 96x32x28. Its already drilled and has 2 overflows. ( was a reef. I built the stand. He is downsizing.)

So my question is this, which would be the better option:

1 XL canister like a eheim 2260 or fulval x 5

2 Large canisters

3 wet/dry( would be a cake walk, since its already drilled)

All of them cost about the same price.

It would be a planted tank with discus, if I do buy it.

I'm currently talking it over with my fiance, as it would have to live at her house til june. :pray:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just some opinions here as I have never dealt with a tank this large, but I do have larger tanks and was met with similar filtration questions.

I personally always like to remove any single points of failure. One canister means that if that goes, you are done. Also, with more than one you can keep one going while you clean the other. Also, do not discount the drilled holes for use with the canisters, I know that Tom Barr has used these for canister inlets and returns with great results.

Personally I would just use a wet/dry/sump configuration to hide all your equipment. With a tank that size you may not see the heaters and such, but it would still be good to have a place to hide everything. Maybe even use an old 55 gallon tank as your sump.

As another point, if you are going discus you are going to need some VERY good heaters to heat that sucker. I would highly recommend multiple heaters on a controller as a necessity to keep a stable temperature in the low to mid-80s that discus require (never kept them, but have read that is what they need..but do your research to find out for sure). Depending on your ambient conditions, that could equate to a larger electric bill. Personally I would be looking at close to 700-1000 watt heater setup, but I overkill these things a lot to leave some breathing room; just in case.

Again my 2 cents, and I will cross my fingers that the fiance talk goes well!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts