Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have had my 125 gallon tank up about 2 months now and from the start had problems with rhizoclonium algae I have 2x 2217s and a 2215 ive tried rex style reactor and im now using a glass diffuser but neither have worked well im having problems getting co2 to get to the whole tank one end grows well and has little to no algae other is covered

I know i need more flow but thats where im up in the air, was thinking about going the in line needle wheel route but will that give me the flow increase I need to fill the whole tank or go with a powerhead and diffuse the co2 through it

what are you guys with 6ft plus tanks doing for co2 diffusion ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't have a six foot tank but I have thought about putting a manifold onto my Regulator and using two diffusers in my tank. One at one end and one at the other. I have my diffuser under my spray bar which blows the bubbles around but they don't get to the other end of the tank very well. My tank is four foot long. I am sure some others will chime in and help both of us.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 6*2*2 ft tank and have been pondering the same Q. My tank has a powerhead at one end with an airstone on the intake. Lots of bubbles are visible but only make it to half the length of the tank. My pH probe is at the other end and that registers 0.8 unit change when CO2 turns on so it must be travelling to the other side of the tank even though i can't see the CO2.
Plants have same growth rate either end. Alage levels minimal both ends. For these two reasons, i cannot justify adding an additional CO2 outlet. PS i have another 2 powerheads in this tank for maximum water circulation with minimal water agitation at surface.I like keeping things simple. The less equipment and additions the better.
Maybe it is not CO2. Maybe too much light at one end. Does one end have more canopy cover?
If i ever was to add a second CO2 outlet i would use the same set up as above with a second powerhead and a manifold.

LAKA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive got a ca solar 6x80 fixture but im olny using 3x80 at a time due to the algae and Im down to 6 hrs a day with only 240 watts of light im going to buy a powerhead tonight and put the rex reactor back on when it gets here see if the extra flow will help if not going to go to a manifold with 1 reactor 1 needle wheel on the 2217s

·
Registered
551 Posts
I use a mix max co2 reactor in my tank, I do not plumb it externally, I place it inside the tank at one end, hooked up to an xp4. The flow is good, it gets to one end of the tank and slowly starts coming back the opposite direction. (you can tell from little bits of plant floating around)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 125 tank I know of that does Co2 and has no problems is this one:

2 counters and 2 diffusers on opposite sides of the tank with auto ph checker.

My guess is also flow though, I revamped my tank to increase flow and have far less algae issues in the corners.

GL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I place my diffuser directly under my powerhead and direct the flow that way. It sucks up the CO2 and blows it around the tank giving it more time in the water. It seems to work fine, but most of the time I don't have a clue what I'm doing...

I have a 75g.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 6 foot 125G tank.

For filtration I use:
Two 2217 Eheims - one at each end. Cleaned every three months.
Two HOB Aquaclear 500's. Cleaned every three months.
One HOT Magnum 250. Cleaned every two weeks.
Two Powerheads.

For CO2 diffusion I use a very large Rex Grigg style reactor (3" diamater and 2' tall) connected to an Eheim 1262 water pump that is used strictly for the reactor.

A six foot long 3/4" PVC spray bar (holes set 2" apart) is set in the back of the 125G on the substrate and is connected to the reactor and pump. Bubble rate is about ten bubbles per second. It works well.

Best regards,

PMD

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
the reactor would be the best method to get the co2 in the tank as long as the pump pushing it is strong enough to dissolve the amount of co2 your putting into it.....other issue is overall tank flow....as long as the tank is circulating well enough the co2 should fully saturate the tank....I would recommend x2 XP4's and maybe a couple of Koralia 4 powerheads

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might just need a better reactor. I have a 135 gallon tank with one Fluval 403 and an additional 500 gph mag drive pump running through an Aqua Medic Reactor 1000 for my CO2. My bubble rate is 2.5 to 3 bpm and my tank is crystal clear and the algae is under control.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Big tank's need good flow. And in my opinion they need a good mist.
Therefor I vote for Needle wheel pump.

-Orlando
i second that suggestion. I use a needle wheel and Hydor koralia's in my 3 large tanks. The mist is not good for photography though.:)
In my old 125 gal, i used to inject on one side using a large ADA ceramic disc, and shoot the bubbles across the tank with a power head. I had a counter flow on the other side from the spray bar of a eheim 2017 cannister . Circulation is very important both for CO2 and dispersion of all nutrients.
--neil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts