Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a post in PPS Analysis and Feedback at 6:20 but the forum heading shows the last post was made at 2:16 by Hellohefalump. It's the same with IE or Firefox.

My post is there although, at the end of the thread on "Please feel free to Post..."

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
6:20 PST? It's showing up for me....

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weird!!! Last night I couldn't see any posts made after 6 PM pst. I kept refreshing the page but it was like no one was posting. Not only that, at the bottom of the page where it lists whose online it showed only my name and listed it as 1 member and 0 guests. I've NEVER seen that before. I wonder if it's my computer. It made no difference whether I browsed APC with IE or Firefox, it was the same. I thought I was losing it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am having the exact same problem right now.

I first noticed that the forums were not showing recent posts. For example, I received a post and then replied to it in a thread in the For Sale or Trade forum. But when I hit refresh to see what else had been posted this morning, the forum did not show any posts since 9:30PM last night. I refreshed again, and it still didn't show new posts. One more refresh finally showed the new posts, including mine.

Since discovering this, I have found this same behavior throughout the board. It's happened with "Today's Posts" and other forums. Sometimes I'll see the most recent posts and sometimes not. It's very erratic, and I can't seem to figure out a pattern yet.

I also had just my name listed on the first page for online users. Refreshing that then displayed about 70 registered users with 250+ guests. Very odd.

I have been on the internet since it first was made available, have regularly used forums of all kinds, and have never seen this behavior before. I know it's not my computer or browser. There's something odd happening with the forum's software in which does not register new posts or other users intermittently.

The next time it happens, I'll grab screen shots to show what I'm seeing and how it keeps changing to show or not show recent posts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Okay, I took four screenshots very close together in time to show what I'm seeing.

Please notice the time of the screenshots (pointed to with an arrow). This shows how quickly each of these screens appeared.

In all cases, I obtained the screens by clicking on the "Today's Posts" link under "Quick Links". None of these screens are from refreshing.

This can't even be my browser's cache because each screen changes from the previous one. No two are the same.

I left the screenshots full size so the timestamps and words can be easily read. Each picture is between 485K and 557K so, hopefully, they won't take too long to view.

Okay, this first screenshot was taken at 10:43:50 this morning. Not only are the most recent posts not showing, but the sorting order of the threads are all over the place. The timestamps for the "last post" is completely out of order.

I took this screenshot just 1 minute and 7 seconds later. This time, the most recent posts are showing and the timestamps are in order. The only thing wrong now is the notice saying "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read." I did not mark any forums as read and some of those posts HAVE been updated since my last visit.

Okay, so 4 minutes and 10 seconds later, I get this. The timestamps are in order, but the most recent posts do not show. Now look at where it places the "have not been updated" notice!

So I click on the link a fourth time, 1 minute and 1 second later, and I get yet another display! Now the most recent posts show up and the timestamps are in order. This is very similar to ScreenShot #2 above. I still disagree with the "have not been updated" notice, but that's a minor issue.

This is just one example of what's happening throughout the board for me. While this shows what I get when I click on the "Today's Posts" link, I have the same problem when I'm just looking at the list of messages in a forum. Sometimes it looks right, but sometimes the messages are a mess with the timestamps completely out of order and multiple recent posts not showing.

So what's going on? The board seems to be having a problem with handling the timestamps for the posts when displaying a list of threads?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also captured where the board shows me as the only user online.

This first screenshot was taken at 12:42:33 PM. It shows me as the only user online. I refreshed the screen about 5 times to finally get it to show this again.

Then, just 25 seconds later, I hit refresh again, and now it shows all the online users as it should.

There is no way a person's browser can affect the way the board displays this information. It is definitely something going wrong with the board. Maybe one of the databases is having problems? Hard to say. But something is definitely going wrong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We've seen the disappearing post problem throughout the network today, I let the tech team know and they said that this problem should disappear pretty shortly.

If you see it happen again please post here so I can give them a link to the thread.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
There's no particular thread or possible way to reproduce the problem on a consistent basis. It's random.

The best way to see the problem of the out of order and missing posts is to either keep refreshing a particular forum or keep hitting a particular link, such as "Today's Posts" or even your own user Subscriptions. If you keep doing it, you'll get different results which demonstrates the problem.

In addition, to get the "1 user online" problem, go to the front page and keep hitting refresh. Eventually, it'll happen. It took 5 refreshes for me to get it to appear when I took the screen shots.

The fact that it is so random makes me believe it's a problem with one or more databases. Assuming that the same code is used each time, the code cannot produce different results. It will produce the same results every time. So it has to be the data that it's reading that's causing the different results.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say a database index is corrupt.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It seems the problems have been fixed. I haven't been on here for a real long time, but it seems like something should have messed up by now, but it hasn't.

Looks like the tech team got right on it!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to post twice but nothing came up. I now have a new computer so I know it's not the computer. VERY reassuring to see that another poster had this experience as well. It leaves one feeling a little crazy. Why is it targeting me again?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I tried to post twice but nothing came up. I now have a new computer so I know it's not the computer. VERY reassuring to see that another poster had this experience as well. It leaves one feeling a little crazy. Why is it targeting me again?
No it's not targeting you, so you are not alone. :D Other boards had the same problem and a ticket was submitted to the tech team and like you've said it seems to have cleared up now.

Sorry about that, I know how irritating it can be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.