Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
What this photo has in common with the Kinkade images posted by Rodger Miller is 1 point perspective. From how steep the glass angles appear at the sides of the tank I guess this to be a corner tank. A corner tank would be very prone to 1 point perspective layouts. Personaly, I work to avoid a single triangle foreground or 1 point perspective. I don't like feeling cornered, a 1 point perspective often makes me feel like I am being inexorably funneled into a final destination. Those Kinkade images play with a feeling of having so comfortably arrived at that destination that sentimental pleasure alone will suffice human intelect ...barf. While this scape is somewhat sentimental it doesn't make simplistic presumtions about human culture. It elevates the value set promoted by ADA and uses a nice mix of slow growing species to create an illusion of permanance.

Now one might argue that, the ADA value set is as calculated and contrived as a Kinkade painting but I do not share this conviction. In my opinion, the ADA value set reflects a cultural/spiritual perspective that has endured for hundreds, if not thousands of years, while a Kinkade painting panders to shallow childish sentementality. In embracing the meditative contemplation of nature, the ADA value set opens up many interrelated avenues of understanding. I never feel cornered when veiwing a well rendered example; even when that example is built into a corner.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
215 Posts
TPIRman,

Thanks for your critical contribution it was a very enjoyable read! It makes me sooo happy to cause raised eyebrows that result in well worded opinions. I especially liked the part where you challenged my unsupported generalities ...very deft. You are right, I am speaking off the top of my head, my entire argument is based on flimsy assumtions. One could say I was speaking out my ass.

Your cultural contrast of Amano with Kinkade touches on what I consider their primary similarities: both market their product to established cultural value sets that promote conceptual loyalty. When one looks at an Amano presentation, its marketing function is always part of its impact. In this case the ADA logo plays an obvious role in its marketing intent. Aqua Design Amano and the Nature Aquarium style that it promotes have carefully crafted a branded image. One cannot look at an known Amano scape without being influenced by its branded status. Perhaps, when discussing how "natural" a scape seems, we are actually practicing a condition of our marketing susceptibility while promoting conceptual loyalty?
___
Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts