Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll also be taking ADA/Amano/AGA layout suggestions to post here. Just PM me on which tank you would like to see here.

Aquarium:

Title: Cave Stone
Volume: 560L
Dimensions: W160xD70xH50(cm)
Plants: Rotala wallichii, Vesicularia dubyana, Rotala spec. "nanjean", Glossostigma elatinoides, Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis
Fish: Crossocheilus siamensis

Questions an ADA judge would ask (taken from contest booklet...they judge on creativity, composition, fish choice, creation of natural atmosphere, aquarium condition, and viability):

1) Does the aquascape make an original creative impression to the viewers?

2) Is the aquascape composed well (is there compositional balance within the aquascape)?

3) Are the aquatic plants appropriately positioned within the aquascape? Does the balance exist in the colors and shapes of the plants used?

4) Do you feel harmony between the fish and the aquarium layout?

5) Is the aquascape laid out well making a natural looking atmosphere?

Some questions of my own:

1) What compositional rules does this layout follow? Which compositional rules does it break?

2) What are the main elements in this layout? How do they work together harmoniously (or unharmoniously)?

3) What type of atmosphere/impression does this layout seem to create for the viewer?

Just questions to help aid discussion. However, discussion can head in directions that have nothing to do with the above questions (but still relate to the above aquascape).

Carlos

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) Does the aquascape make an original creative impression to the viewers?
Definitely. I have never seen another aquarium quite like this one, despite open rock scapes being quite common. The flaming R. wallichii and absence of fish also help shape a very original impression.

2) Is the aquascape composed well (is there compositional balance within the aquascape)?
Yes. The mountains are in a very appealing arrangement. The stem plants inserted between the rocks add a nice touch. This aquarium 'feels' like an old, craggy mountain range. However, I believe that the black background makes this aquascape too powerful and up front. I wonder what it would look like if the background were sky blue.

3) Are the aquatic plants appropriately positioned within the aquascape? Does the balance exist in the colors and shapes of the plants used?
Yes. I really like the use of stem plants, although the viability of having R. wallichii pruned so short for a long period of time seems infeasible. However, I don't know of a suitable replacement as fine leaved plants are absolutely necessary for the type of feel this layout creates.

4) Do you feel harmony between the fish and the aquarium layout?
No decorative fish in this layout. It feels very empty and somewhat cold.

I guess if you take Roger's point of view, there would be plenty of harmony between the fish and the layout because the Siamese Algae Eaters would be flitting around the scape cleaning and scraping algae off all those fine leaved plants.

5) Is the aquascape laid out well making a natural looking atmosphere?
Yes. This layout feels natural to me, in that it does create the impression of a tree covered mountain range with jagged peaks.

Some questions of my own:

1) What compositional rules does this layout follow? Which compositional rules does it break?
This composition uses a convex layout --one of the 'basic' layout shapes expoused by Takashi Amano. Also, the biggest rock in the arrangement (and closest to the front) is right on one of the possible optical centers.

2) What are the main elements in this layout? How do they work together harmoniously (or unharmoniously)?
The jagged, powerful stones which are softened somewhat by the mosses and fine leaved plants arranged around them.

3) What type of atmosphere/impression does this layout seem to create for the viewer?
One of vast emptinesss. Actually, the lack of any visible fish and background/tank corners makes this aquarium look too sterile. A school of silvery Hemigrammus armstrongi might work.

Carlos

1 - 2 of 2 Posts