Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

First, you will have to forgive my poor english. I'm from Québec and I normally speak french.

Less than on year ago, I didn't know that the art of aquascaping even exist. Like many people, I was more interested by fishkeeping rather than plants. But, after landed into the AGA constest page, the landscape designer in me (yes... this is my job:nerd:) was immediatly hooked.

After a few months collecting informations about the subject and doing all the beginner's mistakes in the book, I've decided to do a serious attempt at aquascaping. This project name is: "Le lac de mon enfance". French meaning for "lake of my childhood". Rocky beaches, large patches of flowering nympheas, fishing all day long. Those beautiful images from my summers vacantions as a child, up north, in Québec, inspire me this aquascape.

Set up:

- Tank: 65 gal. FLUVAL 260 model OSAKA + stand from HAGEN 40"L x 18"W x 22"H

- Lighting: 2 x 39 watts T5 power glo 6,700k

- Filtration: FLUVAL 305

- Co2: None for now

- Substrate: FLOURITE covered with pea gravel

- Decoration: Rock and driftwoods from a river nearby

With all the rocks and substrate, the tank capacity past from 65 to approx. 55gal. It give me almost 1.5 watts /gal. I know that many of you use much more light but, for now, I will begin with that and I'see. Same thing with CO2, I already have good result with Excel with another tank. I will probably buy a pressurised CO2 kit in a near future but I will wait a little bit. My wife already think that I am crazy to spend so much money on aquariums. If a come home with a $300.00 CO2 kit, she will kill me or ask for divorce!!

I will comme later with the planting and fishes. I'm still planning the planting. I like lush planting with echinodorus, cryptocorine, anubia, java moss but, in the same time, I do not want to dissimulate the hardscape.

I hope that you will like my work. Stay tune for the planting. Any suggestion is welcome.

Au plaisir de vous lire…

François Bolduc

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, I can see that a big investment of getting all those stuffs. Nice hardscape layout but any idea what plants you are planning for this tank. Selective of plants are important whether you prefer Co2 or non-Co2 planted tank. Can't wait to see your tank complete setup. haha,:cheer2:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Je te souhaite la bienvenue ici.

Nice start on the hardscape. Be sure to show us the planting. 1.5 wpg of T-5 lighting will be enough to grow a fairly large variety of plants. Adding pressurized CO2 will be far more beneficial than adding additional light.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the planting, I will take some plants from my 33 gal. that will becomme a breeding tank for angelfish. In the background, there will be echinodorus blehrii, cyperus helferi, ludwigia repens and cryptocoryne balancea. In the middle, cryptocoryne blassii and blyxa japonica. In the foregrond, echinorus tenellus and unidentified type of echinodorus. On the driftwoods, java moss (unidentified) and what look like microsorum 'Windelow'

Those plants are OK for that kind of lightning?

·
Registered
256 Posts
i like your hardscape.as far as your plant and light choices i'm not familiar with the lighting your using are those NO or HO(normal output- high output)lamps?looks good though ill be following this thread.
EDIT: re-read you post and you can probably get a CO2 system for ALOT less that $300 in fact heres a link
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1431674/cl0/redseaco2prosystemstandard
im not sure if you guys got one up there but some where similar should be around the same price.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know why but for the same Red sea co2 system, here in Canada, you will pay between $180 on internet and $300 at a LFS!!

How long you can do with those paintball tank before refill compare to a 5 lbs. tank? This kind of system look interesting. It doesn't take to much place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts