Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some leaves curling, and I was curious if too much Ca to Mg can cause this? I have about 65 ppm Ca and Gh of 11. I dose heavy No3, Po4, K, and Traces almost daily. Just curious, at my last water change I added too much CaCl on accident and now my leaves are curling.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Possibly, could be the Cl too, do a water change. :)

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
If lowering Ca doesn't work try lowering the Mg. From what I hear Mg causes Nesea leaves to crunch.

--Nikolay

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
SCMurphy said:
Possibly, could be the Cl too, do a water change. :)
I agree with SCMurphy,
After running CaCl2 with MgSO4 exclusively for some time, I saw satisfactory growth for a short time followed by fast downfall in plant health. This deterioration was in some cases irreversible.
In other aquariums I used a Discus Mix made of CaCl2, CaSO4, MgSO4 and soda. This balanced mix never failed growing healthy plants in my tanks. I guess there are two reasons. One is the excessive Cl and one is the ion unbalance of Cl/SO4/Na.

Edward

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about using Calcium nitrate? would that be a better choice? I am unable to find CaSo4 locally. I do have Calcium Nitrate though.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
If you have 65 ppm of calcium and a GH of 11, that sounds like an awful lot of magnesium, compared to calcium. I would try to get the calcium level up a little. Household lime is a quick way to add calcium, although it also has magnesium. You have to add the lime in small amounts and watch the pH to make sure that you don't get the pH too high. Try cutting back on the MgSO4 and adding some of the lime. Or, you can add ground limestone, which dissolves more slowly, but is safer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
HeyPK said:
If you have 65 ppm of calcium and a GH of 11, that sounds like an awful lot of magnesium, compared to calcium.
Not really. He has a lot Mg ONLY IF his Ca number is really for CaCO3. Otherwise, if it is true Ca number, his Mg is only 8ppm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts