Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know how many of you expierienced a leaking canister..I think that this problem a lot more common than I thought.Also vaseline does not always solve the problem as I have recently found out.Does warranty cover you for this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i currently have a leaking c 360. when i first bought it about a month ago it would suck air when it was running and when it was turned off it would leak out water. so i contacted marineland and within about a little over a week i got some replace parts. i put the parts on and it now leaks constantly easily well over a few gallons a day. so i emailed them again and am now waiting for a reply. overall i would say that the c series filter is a poor design but i am impressed with customer service. if a filter is leaking the manufactur should take care of it under warrenty. i think that i am switching over to rena

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree, the o-ring is usually the problem when they leak.
They just plain wear out after a while, so it's always a good part to have on hand.

What type of filter do you have?
I use Ehiems and they are pretty reliable, but if you need a source for their parts, let me know and I'll provide the link.

Wow freydo, I hope you can get that issue resolved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a cheap canister filter few years back, it was running fine on my 4ft planted tank. At first it does leak a bit but then it stop and running perfectly after that, been serving me for years. Recently the 4ft tank has been tear down and that filter has been used on a 2ft tank. Due to it was designed for 4ft tank, I had reduce the outflow to half of it, it was running fine for few months and then suddenly it start to give leaking problem, put some silicone oil on the o-ring, served me another month and it just kept on leaking. Bought myself a Eheim 2213 for the 2ft tank, put this filter to one of my 4ft gold fish tank, switched back the outflow to normal and no more leaking. I guess sometimes you might to check if the pressure is acceptable by the tank itself or not too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems that leaking is part of the game.period.A good canister is a canister which does not leak and not one that keeps working for years.Who cares if you have to change a canister every 3 years?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would be hesitant to use vaseline on rubber o-rings as vaseline can vulcanize certain types or rubber (same reason why you don't use it on condoms).

Most manufacturers (including Eheim) recommend silicone based lubricants.

Charlie

·
Registered
221 Posts
As has been said, auto parts stores for spray silicone lubricant. You can also get it at sporting goods stores, I use it on bows and some gun parts, it has very little scent.

I do worry that the o-ring is damaged. If that is the case, I doubt spray silicone will fix it. I use it as a preventative measure only, to lube for assembly and not damage the o-ring. It is an extremely thin lubricant.

Leaks I have always fixed with vasoline until I could get a new o-ring.

And I must comment on the condom, we just had the plumbing reconfigured years ago to take care of that issue.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Buy a new filter.

Two things to do until then.
1. Latch the filter closed when it is empty. The fill the canister with water. It can make a difference.
2. Wrap the seam in waterproofing tape such as:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100206050&N=10000003+90048
or
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100197267&N=10000003+90048

I've used the stretching Silicone Sealing Tape with great success.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts