Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What do you think about this experiment?

• The PC will grow plants much better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There will be no meaningful difference

• This is a total waste of time/money/bandwidth. Don't know why I read this thread

• I have no idea, but I'm getting all giddy just thinking about it!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1-2 weeks, I plant on doing a 1-2 month study on LEDs vs. PCs. The lights to be used are 7x 1watt Luxeon Stars vs 1x7watt PC (azoo palm light). Luxeon Stars, for those not acquainted, are ridiculously bright LEDs. www.lumileds.com for more info.

The plants I'll use in the test are:
Glosso, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Dwarf Hair Grass

My test tanks will be those ~ 4x6x4 disposable rubbermaid containers.
Water changes will be made weekly with a stock solution of nutrient fortified water...100% water changes (to gravel line). I will use 1-1.5" of established eco-complete from my 30g.

Filters in "tanks" this size is impractical.

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. I will be running two tandom projects. One will be a long term viability study using 24 1watt luxeon stars over a 10g. The second will be a growth comparison study on Luxeons vs PC.

Thes projects are going to start within the month if all goes well. I will be creating a separate thread (journal style) with (hopefully) weekly or bi-weekly photo updates.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Um, Tony, don't you have a girlfriend?

But, seriously, the LEDs sound interesting, because, as I understand it, they're the lighting of the future. I saw a little blurb about it on HGTV (okay, now you can make fun of ME!).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds really great! I can't wait to hear how things turn out. Led's need to drop in price before I can consider them, but I to belive this to be the way of the future :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
married actually ;) but she lets me do this stuff :D

They are a bit pricey now, and I would have done it except that LUMILED sponsored me on a majority of the LEDs. I should be getting the LEDs heatsink and drivers soon enough. ..oh..need nylon screws..better go order some :) ..the fun of drilling and tapping ~ 60 holes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts