Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question from the newbie.

The place I was thinking of putting my future aquarium and stand is not exactly level. Front to back is ok. But left to right is off about 1/2 inch over a 36" length.

This is really the only place where I can place my tank. Does anyone have any advice on what I would have to do to get the tank level?

I was thinking shims under the stand. If I were to do this, would I have to put shims underneath all the way up and down?

Any advice would be appeciated. FYI - This will be going on a carpeted area.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it's not a really long tank like 6' I would only put shims under the end that you need to lift. My floors here are really screwy too, and everything is shimmed. I only shim the ends, on my 180 I did shim the middle a bit as well, just to keep the stand from sagging. As far as I've ever heard with a glass tank it's only important to make sure the corners are properly supported and level, no twisting of the tank. It's not necessary to support the whole length of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
It all depends on how the stand is made. Some stands will bend if only the ends are supported. That has happened to me. The best way to shim is to cut a wood strip tapered to fill the gap all along the edge, so the entire edge supports the weight. Next best is to shim several places along the length of the edge. Even paper works fine as a shim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts