Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
A few more LFS

Some stores I have visited, some repeatedly, some often, with a few comments.

Pacific Reef 18926 Brookhurst St - Fountain Valley, CA 92708 - Brian is very friendly and knowledgeable. Not many plants but fairly decent fish, particularly salt water. We usually get items for reef tank here. My daughter and I visit every week or two just to look around. Decent looking discus but we have not bought any.

Tong's Tropical fish 8976 Warner Ave - Fountain Valley, CA 92708. This store is a completely mixed bag. They have an excellent selection of equipment, particularly aquariums and stands, and a reasonable selection of plants, substrates and plant-specific equipment. A few knowledgeable people, particularly Eric. On the other hand, I have never seen sicker looking discus anywhere. They should be embarassed. We also visit here fairly frequently to look at corals and chat.

Number 1 Tropical Fish 714 S Harbor Blvd - Santa Ana, CA 92704. No plants to speak of but outstanding healthy discus and angelfish. If you love discus, this is a do not miss store. Friendly proprietor.

Ocean Blue - just visited yesterday. This store has possibilities and I wish him success. Brian seems quite interested in establishing the store as "the" LFS for planted tanks.

Neptune's Reef - 2851 Pacific Coast Highway - Torrance, CA 90505. Just visited here a few weeks ago. Probably the best selection of plants I have seen in LFS. They also have SAEs, Otos and a variety of shrimp, none of which are reliably available at other LFS. Too far to visit frequently but good for an outing to check for new items.

405 Tropical fish 15222 Goldenwest St - Westminster, CA. 92683 - A small store with individually filtered tanks (i.e. no central system to spread disease) and outstanding discus.

Pacific Reef 2877 W Lincoln Ave - Anaheim, CA 92801. Don't get here often but their corals and planted tanks look pretty good. More fresh water and plants than the Fountain Valley Store

Bruce

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, Mike. BTW, is Claremont Tropical Fish still around? They were about the most reliable LFS in terms of fish quality I ever found while we lived in San Diego (but that was 7 years ago).

Bruce

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
No...I believe they have closed their doors. They were off Convoy, right? I never could find them the last time I looked.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
New Wave Tropical Fish
(714) 998-8209
1960 North Tustin Street
Orange, CA 92865

Nice little mom and pop shop. The owners are extremely friendly. Decent selection of both freshwater and saltwater fish, and an ok selection of plants. Sometimes they have cherry shrimp with their plants, so if you stop by there take a quick peek. The ones I got from there were REALLY red. Also sometimes stock amanos. If you're looking for community fish, this is the place to go. If you call them and ask if they have a certain fish, and they don't, they'll ask for your number and call you as soon as the fish you want come in.

Once again, I highly recommend this store over any others in the area if you're looking for community fish.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
All About Fish is a great store, better than Strictly Fish IMO. Went there yesterday to meet up with Kurtis to sell him the driftwood, and the owner (Kurt/Curt?) was cool with it. Talked with him for a while about plants and fish, and he discussed his breeding projects with me. Very impressed with his knowledge and his friendly demeanor. When I bought a Red-Nose shrimp from him, he spent close to twenty minutes searching for me (there weren't that many left and they're hard to spot), and picked a beautiful specimen for me, but thought that it was a little too small, so gave me a buck off. I really wish I lived in Long Beach, the store is top-notch. Oh, and by the way, he told me that he was planning on adding 50 more tanks to his store specifically for the small/interesting livestock, such as boraras(!!). He also had Scarlet Badis in, as well as some other cool fish.

GO THERE! I really wish the guy the best. The only downside of the place is that directions there can be a little confusing, especially the mapquest directions I used.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
How open is he to plants? We can put him in touch with AquaBotanic...

·
Registered
561 Posts
yeah, directions there can be a bit confusing...I got lost when I went there, but it was a great store! My mom got her cories from there. Good specimens and good prices.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I stopped by New Wave Tropical Fish during lunch today. I wasn't impressed with the fish selection. The only thing worth noticing was the celebes rainbow fish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fish-Pets
(714) 241-0807
2413 S. Fairview Ave. #N
Santa Ana, CA 92704

Small shop. Not a store to go to if you're looking for plants. Seems to always have German Blue Ram and some not so common fish there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jan's Tropical Fish & Pets
5425 Rosemead Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 286-0590

In the plaza where Sizzler is. Has a good selection of tetras/barbs. Better prices than PTF.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I stopped by 405 tropical fish just to check them out. I got four cherry shrimp for 1.50 each. These where all the cherry's He could find. I also got two algae eating shrimp for 1.50 each. They look like amanos but I am not sure. Most of the fish where pretty cheap. Nothing really rare. Did have endlers and they looked pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Just a heads up, Kirt from All About Fish is going to Thailand to browse the market. He's hoping to return with contacts and hopefully more fish variety. Exciting!

He'll be back after September 12th, so if you live in the area, give him a call and see what he's got coming in.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Store recently opened, and I didn't see much in the way of freshwater plants/fish, so I didn't put it up here. Now the store is getting in plants (apparently they go very quickly and are popular) and the owner is interested in stocking some freshwater shrimp so I'll update if he decides to go through. They've already set aside one tank that will be a fully planted tank.

Window to the Sea
14061 Newport Avenue
Tustin, CA 92780
(714) 665-5900

If you're going on the 5 South, you'll see a painted window that has the store's name on your right when you're going by Tustin. The store itself is way in the back of the plaza.

Saw a lot of crypts. some rotala indica, HUGE anubias, and also some loner stems of HC floating around in the plant holding tank, so definitely worth a visit just in case.

Owner's name is Jeff and he's a nice guy.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Btw, in my previous post, I said the owner's name was Jeff. That turns out to be wrong. He works there but he's not the owner/co-owner.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
BTw, in the Valley, Mark's Tropical Fish is amazing. Dont know the address, but it's in the corner street that cuts from Ventura Blvd to Laurel Canyon. EXCELLENT selection of plants, stems, amazing anubias and crypts, most traditional stuff. Prices are a bit pricey but the quality is def. worth it. Lots of stock for planted tanks, great cories, ottos, and tons of rasboras, tetras and such. His fish are so clean it's amazing, he must be dealing with other suppliers and/or cherry picking the fish.

He deals with hollywood studios a lot, he's the guy who built the custom SW tank for that Deuce Bigalow movie. Great guy to talk to, also. Very good employees.

·
Registered
561 Posts
what city is that in, paradise?

n/m I found it, address and all...does that look correct?

Mark's Fish & Pet Supplies
12063 Ventura Pl - Studio City, CA 91604 - 818-762-7700

21 - 40 of 61 Posts