Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of Red Cherry Shrimp right now, and would like to "relocate" some of them. My LFS said they'd buy 50 of them with cash or store credit.

They charge $5.99 currently per shrimp. Any idea how much they are probably paying? I was told they have to buy them in groups of 100.

I know I could probably make more money selling them @ AquaBid, but I don't really want to deal with containers, heatpacks, shipping losses, etc. at the moment.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Generally fishstores double the wholesale price, but some do triple it. There is a HUGE mark-up on all things live and a small mark-up on drygoods. Again, that is a generality and every fishstore is different. I would ask for 2.50 if you are selling them 50. I prefer to get cash that I can spend as I like. Credit works out very well for the fishstore because your shrimps will end up costing them even less in the end. If you are getting store credit instead of cash I would sell them at a little higher price.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight. I do have an abundance of males ... maybe I'll get rid of them first. ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
John P. said:
I do have an abundance of males ... maybe I'll get rid of them first. ;)
I seem to have the opposite condition im my tank where it seems like every shrimp I see has a saddle.

Oh, and my LFS charges me 2X his wholesale price for special orders. His regular selling price seems to be about 3X wholesale.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting re: pricing.

I have a lot of females, too--at a glance I just counted 9 females in there carrying eggs. TONS of saddled ones, too.

And to think, in November I was gloomy about my propagation prospects!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a bunch of breeding cherries and I was thinking of trading in the offspring at the LFS, however I have concerns about them cutting me out once they get a shipment or two. Anyone else have this curiosity?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts