Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a message on the Dallas Forth Worth Aquatic Plant Club site concerning setting up a 300 gal. store tank.

I thought that some of you may be interested in giving suggestions about the plant choice and layout of the tank. We, as a club, will do the job on a Saturday. The following is very much what I just posted on the DFWAPC site. The site requires a membership so I am reposting here.

We need to tell the owner what plants we will need and he will order them.

The tank has been cycling for about a week now and looks totally clean. It has about 3 inches of Eco-Complete mixed with inert gravel. The filtration is with 2 powerheads equiped with DAS sponges hidden behind the fake rock/wood background.

The stock lights are NO fluorescents I guess about a 100 watts total. The owner will get 36 inch fluorescents, I told him he needs 3 watts per gallon, but I don't know if he will get enough.

He will be getting a pressurized CO2 system. So everything should be good to go.

Here are some pictures of the tank that I took today:
Front
Side
General

Ok, what are your ideas about plants and layout in this tank?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
105 Posts
The background is very interesting all by itself, and it doesn't really need any help.

The planting, IMO, should be simple. Micro tenellus mixed with some Blyxa japonica, and Blyxa aubertii would be my choice. It'll be enough color to satisfy LFS folks who don't know much about plant tanks, while still being quite easy to maintain and able to do well in less light.

Stem plants are a nightmare unless someone who knows what's going on is around to take care of them on a very regular basis. Further, the singular, central position of the "stump" is going to make attractive groupings of stems difficult. Then of course we have lighting issues...

A simple pastoral look will go best with the background, IMO.

Keep us posted :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts