Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
What's the CF in the 65 watt fixture mean???
CF = Compact Flourescent (as opposed to a normal flourescent bulb you'd find in the typical shop light)

Another thing: K = Kelvin and refers to color temperature. Anywhere from 5500 to 10000 K is good for plants. You just have to decide what color you like better. Avoid "Actinic" light. That's for reef tanks and doesn't do much for plants.
Then, you have to look at spectrum. Ideally, you want a spectrum that plants can use (the right wave lengths in red and blue), but from what I understand (and I may be wrong) most lights within the 5500-10000 K will have at least SOME of that.
Then, there's PUR and PAR, and that's WAY over my head.

There is a really good in-depth sticky about that in the "Lighting" forum.

In case you're curious, I have a 48" tank and use 2 "dual daylight" bulbs (mix of 6700 K and 10000 K). The fixture is 130 Watts (65 for each bulb).

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
I have to wait until I get home to see the chart (work computer has too many security filters). I've been going off Newt's 'sticky' about spectrum:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/38014-lighting-spectrum-photosythesis.html

It say's (not a quote, just compiling the peak usage for chlorophyll a,b and carateniods) the ideal range would be 430-453 in the blue, and 642-675 in the red. Based on that, the 420nm and 460nm actinics would be out of ideal range.
I'm not saying the chart you have is wrong, I've just been going off the above 'sticky'.

Either way, you're right about the red spectrum not being marketed the same way blue is.

-Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.