Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ten gal running with a light from a previous repltile tank. I now have two questions: Would this light be good to use? It has a 60 watt bulb, and i don't know if this is too high. I think Amano uses 6wpg on some tanks. Also, i wanted to know what to use for a light shield. I am not sure if using a home made one made out of the plastic of a pop bottle is okay. Will the light mealt it?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

-Ty

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading about the light i found an article that says glass tops would work good under the light as a shield. I have an old ten gal in my shed that had the bottom shatter over the winter (i suppose because of the heating and cooling.) Do you think that i could take apart the sides of the glass and set one on top as a hood? I was planning on making a hood, so this would kill two birds with one stone.

-Ty

·
Registered
288 Posts
60 watt bulb for reptile sounds like an incandescent bulb aka halogen style bulb/ screw in bulb.

when we talk about wpg, it is for fluorescent bulb. Power compact, VHO, HO, and etc..

You do not have enough light for the 10 gallon.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
United,

If you've got a screw in type fixture why not give the screw-in Compact Fluorescent bulbs a try. I know a bunch of people who've had quite a bit of success with them and they're pretty easy to get at hardware stores.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I grew plants for a while with the standard 15watt X 2 incandescent bulbs that came with my ten gallon. It worked I guess but I really didnt like the look of it. After I replaced them with two screw in power compacts from Wal-Marts pet section it has really improved.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i did the same thing as the previous replies....except it was too much light for my tank so i had one 15w incan. and 1 of those screw in compact flour.s ...i grew the typical low light plants really well this way....dwarf anubius, amazon sword, java fern, japanese fan, and dwarf water onion....

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was looking in my walmart pet section for a screw in CF and couldn't find one. There were the normal ones, not labelled with the range, in the lighting dept. but I didn't think these would have the light range necessary for a planted aquarium. What was the name/brand/type of CF you bought from walmart? Is it on their webpage?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Its not on their webpage. I had to ask an employee where they were, and they were sold out the first time I went. At my walmart they are stocked next to the regular incadescent aquarium lights.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I asked my local walmart, they said they don't stock them :(. I live out in the middle of nowhere, upstate NY. I checked the walmart in Geneva and Watkins glen, no-go. :(

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That is odd...i thought all wal-marts stocked the same stuff. Let me know if you cant find anything, and maybe I can get some here and mail them to you if you would like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts