Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a little about my tank.

Its a 55g tank, with a fairly heavy fish load(that i am working on lowering) the Nitrates run high without dosing(around 30 to 40 ppm on the last test) due to the fish load.No fert Dosing at this point, and Lightly planted(working on getting more plants but money is extremely short in supply)I have a T5 unit over it that will support 4 x 54 watt bulbs.

My question is this, at what point does CO2 become required IE what wpg requires pressurized co2?

4 bulbs = 3.92 WPG
3 bulbs = 2.95 WPG
2 bulbs = 1.96 WPG
1 Bulb = .98 WPG

Basically How many bulbs can i run before i Absolutely must have pressurized co2?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
It's my understanding that T5's wattage is double what regular wattage is. It might be that even with 2 bulbs of T5's you may need CO2. You'll know soon enough.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
As you get use to this tank you may want to mount the light above the glass top this will help reduce the wattage reaching the water. I am going to do this with mine. I am looking for mounts. I don't want to hang it from a chain in the ceiling.
I have found this plan so far. http://www.oregonaquadesign.com/hoppyscantileveredlight.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts