Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if 2 6ft t5-ho, 1 4ft t5-ho, and 3 or 4 250w metal halide pendants. All from fishneedit.com. I've got a feeling this gonna be way to much light for the tank im thinking of. 1840 watts seems like to alot. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As long as it's all spaced evenly, it's certainly not too much light. Directly under the MH might be a little much, depending on how high you hang it, but I don't have much experience with MH.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Is that a 480 gallon tank? And, is the depth 48 or 24 inches? If it is 48 inches deep the watts per gallon "rule" is worthless. The substrate will be so far from the light it will take a lot of light to get a good intensity at the substrate level.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes and no. The depth would be 24 inches and 48 inches wide. Most of the plants would be down the center of the tank. My idea is to be able to view the tank from 3 sides. I'm out of town at the moment, but when i get back i'll try to post up some of my plans. Also, with the depth only being 24 inches would i be able to slide by with only t-5's. My foreground will be sand so getting high intensity all the way down to the substrate is not really a big deal unless im confused which is a huge possibility :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
In my opinion you don't need the MH bulbs, the T5's will be plenty, possibly too much. This is off subject, but how will you reach the middle of the tank to do maintenance and planting? It should be a spectacular aquarium in any case.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Wow, that's a wide tank!! I can't wait to see pics. Since it's only 24" deep, I suppose you can use the WPG rule. But high light in a large tank requires less WPG than a small tank. Seems to me that 2.5 - 3 WPG would be high light in this case? (That question mark is there for a reason...definitely get a second opinion on that!) ;) And, too, t-5's are so much more efficient than other CF bulbs, probably less WPG than that would be good.

And, as hoppy mentioned, you don't need the Metal Halides. It'll depend somewhat in the look you're going for (from the aesthetics point-of-view). Pendants vs linear lights.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
You could easily do all T5's, and that is WAY too much light listed above, sorry, but I disagree on it not being too much.

I can grow almost anything in a 180g, 24" tall, 24" deep, 6' wide, with 8x39w T5's. With 12x39w, it is silly high light, I can't control the algae.

So you'd be using 54w instead of 39w, side by side 4' fixtures....

24*54w (2 6 bulb fixtures per "side", 4 total) is 1296 watts, and it'd grow anything in my opinion - and all the light probably isn't even needed unless you plan on a tank full of extremely light demanding species.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's one of those things I'm still looking into. Really long arms are going to help out a lot with this tank though. Its gonna be awhile before all the parts start to come together. I figured that t-5's would be fine. Which would be a better choice, 4 of the 48 inch 216 watt or 6 of the 48 inch light fixtures? The layout will be mostly lower light plants and moss with a few high light plants. All the goodies like co2 and ferts are also planned for the set-up. With this much light algae shouldn't be to much of a problem. I plan on having a UV sterilizer and I pretty much have a unlimited supply of nerite snails because I know a location where I can catch them :p

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
You could easily do all T5's, and that is WAY too much light listed above, sorry, but I disagree on it not being too much.

I can grow almost anything in a 180g, 24" tall, 24" deep, 6' wide, with 8x39w T5's. With 12x39w, it is silly high light, I can't control the algae.

So you'd be using 54w instead of 39w, side by side 4' fixtures....

24*54w (2 6 bulb fixtures per "side", 4 total) is 1296 watts, and it'd grow anything in my opinion - and all the light probably isn't even needed unless you plan on a tank full of extremely light demanding species.
+1 for ingg's suggestion. I think you could easily only use four 4 x 54 watt fixtures for a total of 16 x 54 watt 48" T5HO bulbs.

Like this.....

______________________ ________________________

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I agree with AaronT. Given the plants you plan to use, there is no reason to go for extra high light. It will even be best if you make sure you can control the light fixtures independently, so you can reduce the light if necessary. The more light you have, and the longer the photoperiod with the lights, the harder it will be to avoid algae problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The lights that Im looking at actually have 3 power cords and 3 switches so everything with be on timers. I like the idea of having a afternoon burst of light for 4 or 5 hours to recreate a more natural environment for the plants. Here is what i had in mind. The led lights would be for night viewing. I know the led's serve no really purpose for the plants, but i kinda like the way it looks on my aquarium now. So you guys think 16 54watt bulbs will be enough for this size tank?

________________________ ________________________
(led)(led)(led)(led)(led)(led) (led)(led)(led)(led)(led)(led)

(led)(led)(led)(led)(led)(led) (led)(led)(led)(led)(led)(led)

Picture will be a ways off. Im going to be planning this baby out for a good long while.
Wouldn't wont to rush into things and end [email protected]$$ing it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to ask this but has anyone had experience with fishneedit.coms lights? They seem a little to good to be true to me.

·
regulator
928 Posts
I havent used the fishneedit T5s, but the 150w MH pendants are working great so far after 3 or 4 months in continuous operation. I agree that they do seem too good to be true. And the bulb prices on the HQIs are so cheap. but seem to work fine. I'm running one of their 8K bulbs and one of the 10K bulbs now.

for the cost they are actually pretty nice. I have some 250W MHs that cost me an arm and a leg years ago and they aren't really much better than fishneedit pendants construction wise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats good to hear. I might get on of there 5 foot set-ups to test how they are myself. Been needing to get a new light guess here's my chance.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I would use the Tek T5 fixtures. The fishneedit fixtures don't have individual parabolic reflectors like the Teks do. Trust me, it's worth the extra money for the Teks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'll look into thanks for the help. Now the question is which would be a better choice between the
high-output or the very hight-output kits. The 48" 8x54W Tek 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit seems like it fit the bill.

One hing i noticed about the fishneedit fixture is that it seems to have some pretty good rreflectors built in it.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-55907585196829_2021_0

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
They high-output is all you need. The very-high is too much light and will prematurely burn out your bulbs.

The fishneedit fixture might be okay. You tend to get what you pay for though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts