Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 12" Sattelite for my new 10g tank. The reason that I bought it is because it: 1. has around 2wpg (i figured it is 10gal tank - approx. 1 gal for substrate) and 2. it has a 10000k, 450nm light. I thought that this would be more than enough for the lower light plants that I am planning. (Java Ferns, Anubias Nana, ect.) I stayed away from the 20" light because it was 40watts and I figured i should stay with 2wpg.

After I bought the light, I began reading further about the lumens and how sometimes the wpg rule does not necessarily apply to smaller tanks. Now I am worried that I do not have enought light going into my tank. I am wondering if i should just pack it back up and return it and go for the 20" long sattelite light. And I am also wondering if the 10k light should be replaced with something more along the lines of a 6.7k light. Is there anything wrong with the 10k light? From what i have been reading is that they are ok.

Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Oh and btw, this is my first post. :D

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. And the suggestions.

I planned this tank as sort of a "trying something new" tank and use it as a gateway into planning a 75gal tank that I bought to put in my new house. (when I get a new house) I am planning to go all out on that tank.

Right now, I have a planted 46 gal bowfront at home (the apartment) that I have had set up for 2.5 years now. I have had some success with it, but not to the extent as what I seen and have read about on APC. I have come to realized that there are far easier and better ways to do things than I am doing with my 46 gal tank. Like upgrading substrate, rather than using root tabs, CO2 injection, using timers, ect. I have been reading APC for some time now, I guess I just wanted to figure some things out on my own. This time around I am asking.

So, for my 10 gal, I plan on using Eco-Complete, the 12" satellite lite, canister filter (Rapids Mini), Heater, and seachem firts (using the seachem fert schedule i found here on APC :)) I still want to do some lower light/easier plants, so that I can get practice and experience before I set up the 75gal. I do have some Hygro in my 46 gal that is doing rather well, so maybe I will pick off one of the babies, and stick it in this tank when I set it up.

Thanks again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I actually wasn't too happy with the look of the 12" light sitting on my tank and the plants were not doing so hot, so I did return it to get the 20" light. I am also going to get the 6700k/10000k light. In the mean time I have a 30" compact coralife t5 light that I borrowed untill my other light comes in. It hangs over the edge a little bit, but the plants have perked up. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.